• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Quartet" (flute, horn, 'bone, tuba)

Share/Bookmark

"Quartet" (flute, horn, 'bone, tuba)

Folks,

For your edification, here is my "Quartet" a short composition for flute, horn, 'bone and tuba. The GPO instruments are:

Flute Solo V
    Horn 1 Solo KS
    Tenor 'Bone KS
    Tuba 1 Solo

In my very humble opinion there is too much breath noise in this particular flute sample. Obviously, I couldn't correct the situation since the breath noise is contained in the sample itself. I don't especially like this much "chiffing" sound.

I tried for a little levity with the 'bone "blats" near the end and also the "extended" ending.

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/Quartet.mp3

Best wishes to all and to all a good night,

Larry A.

Re: "Quartet" (flute, horn, 'bone, tuba)

I LOVE it!

Especially the 'blats.'

Thumbs up Re: "Quartet" (flute, horn, 'bone, tuba)

Just like JB said, "I love this"! You seem to have this down nicely! I actually love the flute sound regardless of the above mention dislike. To me it sounds as if there is a person playing!
    Again, was this notational or did you play in?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Just like JB said, "I love this"! You seem to have this down nicely! I actually love the flute sound regardless of the above mention dislike. To me it sounds as if there is a person playing!
    Again, was this notational or did you play in?
    Thank you for the compliment, Little Drummer Boy (good title for a Christmas song).

I enter each note with Mickey, my trusty Acme brand mouse. I "hear" the entire composition in my head, including all parts and all notes, and then I enter each note with the mouse. I don't use a keyboard. A little tweaking and there you go.

Best wishes for a great season,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I LOVE it!

Especially the 'blats.'
    Thank you for your comments, Joseph, and thanks for listening.

I must use more "blats" in my compositions. (...and I thought that was a brand of beer.)

Regards,

Larry A.

I enjoyed this composition as well. Again, nothing constructive to say, though . . . I just love your music! Great melodies! "Blats" are nice

I must ask you, do you use some kind of composing process for your counterpoints and such? It's done so effectively, and I am so un-knowledgable about such things . . .

Just curious: what sequencer or tools do you use?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I enjoyed this composition as well. Again, nothing constructive to say, though . . . I just love your music! Great melodies! "Blats" are nice

I must ask you, do you use some kind of composing process for your counterpoints and such? It's done so effectively, and I am so un-knowledgable about such things . . .

Just curious: what sequencer or tools do you use?
    I don't exactly know what "composing process for your counterpoints" means.
    When I compose, I hear the counterpoint, along with the melodic lines, simultaneously in my head. Then it's a process of keying all of it into my computer.

I use Sonar 3 sequencing software. I have several outboard synths. I don't use any other "tools" as such and I don't use a music keyboard. The music goes directly from my wierdo brain to my mouse and into my computer.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    When I compose, I hear the counterpoint, along with the melodic lines, simultaneously in my head. Then it's a process of keying all of it into my computer.
    I guess that pretty much answers the question! I was just wondering how you came up with the counterpoint. I must admit, when composing I cannot always hear it in my head quite clearly enough, I guess I just need to work on it.

I use Sonar 3 sequencing software. I have several outboard synths. I don't use any other "tools" as such and I don't use a music keyboard. The music goes directly from my wierdo brain to my mouse and into my computer.
    Your wierdo brain is very talented! I'm having trouble composing without a keyboard. Seems a lot of people use Sonar, I wish I could afford it . . .

Thanks for answers!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I guess that pretty much answers the question! I was just wondering how you came up with the counterpoint. I must admit, when composing I cannot always hear it in my head quite clearly enough, I guess I just need to work on it.

Your wierdo brain is very talented! I'm having trouble composing without a keyboard. Seems a lot of people use Sonar, I wish I could afford it . . .

Thanks for answers!
    You might try this: While listening to music on the radio or on CDs, hum your own counterpoint to the main melody of the song. Do this until it becomes second nature. Eventually, it could help you in writing counterpoint for your own music.

If you need to use a keyboard for writing purposes then use it. It's just that I started composing at a very early age and I didn't have a keyboard and I don't use one to this day.

Regards,

Larry A.

You might try this: While listening to music on the radio or on CDs, hum your own counterpoint to the main melody of the song. Do this until it becomes second nature. Eventually, it could help you in writing counterpoint for your own music.
    I'll try it for sure! Thanks!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast