• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Sibelius

Can someone tell me just how to get GPO to work properly using sibelius? I am trying to write a concert band piece, and i do not like Overture...and composing with GM is NOT FUN! nononononoooooo!

Re: GPO and Sibelius

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    Can someone tell me just how to get GPO to work properly using sibelius? I am trying to write a concert band piece, and i do not like Overture...and composing with GM is NOT FUN! nononononoooooo!
    Well, I don't know exactly where you are breaking down, but try this.

First, open GPO Studio
    Select player of your choice, load instruments.
    Open Siblelius

Select Play
    Select Devices
    The answer should then be obvious.

This presumes your sound card is properly installed and working, that your GPO Studio settings are in accordance with your sound cards capabilities.

If more information needed, append a new request with as much detail as possible, which will make it easier for someone to offer suggestions.

Yep, General Midi is the pits and worse! But sometimes necessary.

Richard

Yea umm....its kind of hard to write a whole arrangement with one instance of GPO .

I tried selecting players...problem is, i have like 20 channels in sibelius, and i can only use one GPO instance, only 1-8 have sound. How do i get channels to respond to different instances of GPO?

Kanjika,

Hi. The whole process is actually very simple. The secret lies in the mixer mode in Sibelius. Here's what you do:

1. Open Sibelius.
    2. Open the GPO Studio
    3. Click on the Play menu at the top of Sibelius, then move down and click on devices, then turn on the GPO Studio Devices (you should have 8)
    4. Set up your score.
    5. Load the corresponding samples into however many instances of the Kontakt player you require.
    6. Go back to sibelius and type Ctl+Alt+M (opens the mixer console)
    7. Now, once you have the mixer open, click on the first instrument name (you should see it under the slider, right beside "Click"). Once you click on the name, you should see to the right a series of boxes. The first should be the instrument that you chose, second should say "device", and third should say "sound". Here's where you do all of the setups.

I'll give you an example.

Say you are writing a piano piece. You've already set up your score in Sibelius and loaded the correct sample into the first slot on the first instance of the Kontakt Player in the GPO Studio. Now, I go into the mixer and click the "Piano" track. To the right, under devices, I'm gonna select "GPO Studio 1", (this sets up the GPO Studio to be the output device) then, I'm going to move down to the far bottom right of the mixer console to where I see a box with the word "Program" beside it. Since I loaded the sample into the first slot (or Channel 1) of the GPO Studio's Kontakt player instance 1, I need to set the program to channel 1. Now, if you go up and click the "test" button, you should hear the GPO piano banging away.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of any futher assistance.

Jonny :-)
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum