• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Piano

Share/Bookmark

GPO Piano

Hi. I've been working through the various GPO tutorials - all excellent. Has anyone put together a tutorial on using the GPO Steinway? - I gather from looking at the blurb on other piano samples (EastWest, Stienberg, Synthogy etc) that they come with various layers etc. Cheers, CeeDee

Re: GPO Piano

Hi CeemDee!! The piano is pretty much the most straightforward thing in GPO. Just load it and play it!! The layers are based on velocity (how hard you hit the keys). No special controllers are involved.

CeeDee,

It probably would never have occurred to me to produce a tutorial for piano because it is, like Fred said, so straightforward. One thing though: Unlike most instruments in GPO, the piano needs to be set for the standard sustain pedal mode to function properly. Go to the Options menu and choose the first type in the list for sustain pedal modes. That will give you standard sustain pedal performance. Don't forget to put it back to the second choice in the list when you use winds, strings, and most percussion. Be aware that doing both types simultaneously requires a workaround. Ask if you need it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Be aware that doing both types simultaneously requires a workaround. Ask if you need it.
    I'm interested! Please be more specific...

Robert

For me, I duplicated the file "PersonalOrchestra.dll" in my VST folder, and renammed the copy "PersonalOrchesta - sustain.dll" and set its pedal mode on the right one for the piano.

If there is a cooler workaround, I'm interested too
    News & Music here.

Nino's approach is one way. Another is to use the VSTi for one mode and the DXi for the other. Still another is to use the GPO player for one and the full version of Kontakt for the other. The point is to be using separate "engines" for each mode. Just opening additional instances won't do the trick because they will share the same engine and a given engine can only be set for one mode.

One thing though: When you re-load a sequencer song file containing separate simultaneous modes check to be sure each of them loads with the correct mode assigned. This can sometimes be lost when saving the sequencer file and will need re-setting at the beginning of your session with that song file.

Tom

I use GPO Studio with Finale.... any hope?
    Robert

At this time, no, I don't think so. Even with Bidule (the program Studio is derived from) you can only use VSTi's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Nino's approach is one way. Another is to use the VSTi for one mode and the DXi for the other. Still another is to use the GPO player for one and the full version of Kontakt for the other. The point is to be using separate "engines" for each mode. Just opening additional instances won't do the trick because they will share the same engine and a given engine can only be set for one mode.

One thing though: When you re-load a sequencer song file containing separate simultaneous modes check to be sure each of them loads with the correct mode assigned. This can sometimes be lost when saving the sequencer file and will need re-setting at the beginning of your session with that song file.

Tom
    Tom:

Ran into the "reset" problem when opening a new GPO file. The piano sustain switch was still on. Good to know that it must be turned "off" even though you are back in a different file that has WW and Strs.

To me, maybe the best way to get around this problem is to go to a dedicated GPO piano file and record the piano, then make an AUDIO file of it, then go back to your WWs and Strs--reset the sustain sw. and then import the audio piano file. Is this a common solution?

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanx for all the replies. The reason I asked this question is that if you look at whats available out there, there seems to be a bit more to it than load up and play. On this point, has anyone looked at he Synthogy Ivory collection (the Bosy sounds awesome) - http://www.ilio.com/synthogy/ivory/ - for $349 ($70 more than GPO) I would expect it to be better than the GPO Steinway - intuitively simple to use yes, but not simple to master (at least initialy) if you get my drift. I suppose what I'm asking is, just how good is the GPO Steinway? Cheers, CeeDee

Go Back to forum