• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: new composition (made with VSL 1st edition)

Smile new composition (made with VSL 1st edition)

Hi all,

I made this new composition for a TV show. I used VSL 1st edition (amongst others).
    Advices and feelings are welcomed!

You can download it here (you'd better use "save target as...") :

Re: new composition (made with VSL 1st edition)

Some of the most fantabulous string work i've ever heard
    from a sample library to be quite honest.

It could be more in your face when the beat hits, but
    thats more just opinion, and nitpicking.

Great great stuff.

Great work.. what did you use for the beat?
    Sam Hulick

Sounds real nice, but to me it's almost TOO dry. It's begging for at least a little Lexicon reverb. I'm not talking wash it out, but give it at least some small room reverb. I said Lexicon, because to me, it's the highest quality of its kind.

Nice comp though!

Many thanks for your nice comments (TK, you make me glowing red) !

I used Stylus for the beat (with a little MIDI editing though).
    As for the reverb I used Waves Trueverb (of which I'm not a real fan).
    I know reverb is more present in real life situations so you're right when you say it's too dry, Jared. Furthermore it could give a smoother overall sound.
    I must confess I intentionally mixed it very dry though. I wanted to preserve the presence and the punch of the mix , be it a little bit too tough. And I must say I like very much that dry VSL sound. Another reason is that I had no Lexicon (I love those verbs) at that time

Yeah, this is a great cue. I like your use of various playing techniques on the VSL strings. Really makes for an exciting piece. Keep up the great work!

Hello MichaŽl!

How are you doing? It 's My right here. I'm also a soundtrack movie maker an d let me tell you that i really like this piece. Very nice. I love the fact that it is dry but just a little touch of Verb won't be bad.. it will give that extra hype and dark side of it, mysterious u know. Do you Use Vsl with Giga or woring with wich sequencer? Because i guess that to get those expression that well u have to use those Vienna stgring with Giga no? Let m e know be intrested on hearing how you work with ok!

Keep the good work.. very nice again

Good stuff. I actually like it on the dry side myself. Gives it a little extra edge.

Just curious... how long (total hours) did this creation take, from concept to product?

- Keith

Thanks for your great feedback, guys!

My: I used indeed VSL on Gigastudio 2.5. Everything was sequenced and mixed on Cubase SX2. I made some use of the Performance Tool for legato playing and alternate bowings. No use of the repetition patches though.

Keith: I must confess I can't really tell you because I wrote it as a part of a little serie of short pieces. Let's say it took 3 days ?

Thumbs up Re: new composition (made with VSL 1st edition)

Very nice ! I loved the strings and the articulations .

The dryness is nice too , i think it suits the mix well since it's not intented to be orchestral but more modern.

Keep it up
    Theo Krueger - Composer

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum