• Register
  • Help

Topic: ESB end titles mockup

Share/Bookmark

ESB end titles mockup

Okay, so, after FireGS beat me to it to do a mockup of the imperial march about a month ago, I went to work on the end credits from 'The Empire Strikes Back' instead - and here's the result:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/aztaroth/esbfinale.mp3 (right click save as...)
    (sorry about it being Angelfire)

The brass is Project SAM horns, trumpets and Bones, the rest is EWQLSO gold on 1 P4 2.4ghz with 1gig of ram - I didn't use any modwheel patches since it gobbled up all the polyphony, and without it, it was already murder for my machine to pull this piece.

anywho, any and all critique and suggestions are welcome!

There are some flaws I'm VERY aware of though: some of the brass notes are too short in the beginning during the rebel spaceship fanfare, I don't know why I did that :/ and near then end the notes for the violin sections are too high for the EWQLSO violin sections.

Re: ESB end titles mockup

Quote Originally Posted by Lundquist
    Okay, so, after FireGS beat me to it to do a mockup of the imperial march about a month ago, I went to work on the end credits from 'The Empire Strikes Back' instead - and here's the result:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/aztaroth/esbfinale.mp3 (right click save as...)
    (sorry about it being Angelfire)

The brass is Project SAM horns, trumpets and Bones, the rest is EWQLSO gold on 1 P4 2.4ghz with 1gig of ram - I didn't use any modwheel patches since it gobbled up all the polyphony, and without it, it was already murder for my machine to pull this piece.

anywho, any and all critique and suggestions are welcome!

There are some flaws I'm VERY aware of though: some of the brass notes are too short in the beginning during the rebel spaceship fanfare, I don't know why I did that :/ and near then end the notes for the violin sections are too high for the EWQLSO violin sections.
    Good Job Quite an undertaking.

is it just me or some of the chords off? 0:14 for instance?

Dude!! That's insane that you would even think about
    taking on something like that!!

I think you did a great job. Even if it didnt sound as
    good as it does, HUGE kudos
    on having the drive to take that on. WOW.

I'm the biggest JW fan you'll meet, and i give it the thumbs
    way up man!!

Toddk

hi lundquist ,

where have you found the score sheet ?????????????

thanks ...

Excellent.

This is one of my favorite all time scores and my favorite "track" when I was growing up. Of course back then I had the LP.

I did this song several years ago on my trusty Roland W-30. The problem was that it had very limited memory, so I split the sequence into 3 parts: Brass, Woodwinds, Strings/Percussion. To further complicate things, I had no multi-track recording capabilites or computer software to help back then so I got 2 friends who also had W-30's (yep, we all bought the same keyboard) and began the sequences simultaneously by hand and recorded it live to tape.

I'm going to see if I can find it and post it.

I've also got an old mock-up of The opening credits of Star Trek II that I did on the Roland Cound Canvas. In this day and age of amazing samples it can be fun to listen back to where it all began.

Here are some excerpts from those mock-ups circa 1990-1996

http://www.swgames.com/timzydee/ESB_excerpt.mp3
    http://www.swgames.com/timzydee/ST2_excerpt.mp3
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

thanks for the comments

Jamesmcwilliams: yeah, it kind of sounds like they are, but as soon as I don't use the marcato samples for that part it sounds right... maybe the notes aren't supposed to have that 'roundness' in that place?

Toddk: Thanks for the nice words yeah, it was quite the work, but I haven't had much to do lately, so.

Marty Prod: I didn't use ny sheet - I used different recording of the piece to listen to, mostly the Charles Gerhardt rerecording.

Timzydee: I'd really like to hear your mockups, but the links doesn't seem to work? Or is it an error on my end of the connection?

They're working for me. You should be able to just left-click them, or right-click and "save as."
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Hi Lundquist!
    I must say that it sounds really good! ESB finale is my favorite from all SW movies finales. But its a pity you dont make it starting with "rebel fleet" opening - with han and leia´s theme.
    But as I said - REALLY GOOD!!
    There is only problem with mix (some percussions - Triangel for example is too loud for my ears) and with those "cuted" bras notes!

Could you please post midi file?

All the best,
    Honza

timzydee: hmmm, it seems I can't even visit swgames.com either, is it possible that the site is blocking visitors from certain parts of the world? (ie Denmark?)

handz: I didn't even pay too much attention to the triangle before you mentioned it - but you're right it is too loud, something I'll keep in mind for the future. also, I have no problem posting the midi but would you like a tidied(sp?) up midi file or the (sort of) messy cubase file? or both?

Go Back to forum