• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone working with GS3 without problems??

Share/Bookmark

Anyone working with GS3 without problems??

If you are working with gigastudio 3 in win xp without problems please tell me about your PC configuration, we cannot run without crashes and a lot of problems...

Re: Anyone working with GS3 without problems??

I am using a stock Dell 2.8Ghz with 1.5GB of ram.
    Internal 120gb drive
    Soundcard - RME 24/32
    Midi MOTU Micro Lite
    Glyph 120gb firewire drive (for samples)
    Giga 3.0
    Absolutely no Windows tweaks

I have had Giga 3.0 since September and crashed once or twice.
    Have used the program under real world working conditions.
    Biggest reason I think I am having no problems is:
    I use the aforementioned machine for Giga only , I have a 2.4Ghz
    machine for Cubase SX.

Thanks for your help, now we can try in other way. I will contact with you again soon.

Josep

www.calmaestudis.com

BTW, I've just purchased the following:

* AMD Athlon64 3000+ (90 nm Winchester)
    * Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 2
    * 1 GB (2x512) OCZ P3200 Platinum Rev 2 RAM
    * Thermalright XP-120 Heatsink & Panaflo Fan
    * Seasonic SuperSilencer 400W Power Supply

I should easily be able to overclock this system to the speed of a stock 3500+ and beyond. I can't wait to use lots of GPulse instances.

I'll use the above with my Echo MIA, ATI Radeon 9200, Seagate hard drives and WinXP SP1.

I should receive the parts by Tuesday, Dec 7th. I'll post the results when I get everything configured.

-JF

I have three PC's running Giga Orchestra 3.0.3, They are as follows:
    1. Asus A7N8X-deluxe mobo, Athlon 3200 XP, 1 GB RAM (Corsair Twinx),
    Windows XP Pro SP-2, RME "Multiface" sound/midi interface, 120 GB
    boot drive, 2x250 GB RAID

2. Same as above but 2 x 250 GB not RAIDed, RME 9652

3. Intel mobo (don't know the model off hand), Pentium 3.4, Windows
    XP Pro SP-1, 2 GB RAM (don't know brand), 120 GB boot drive,
    2 x 250 GB RAID, RME 9652

All three are running Giga 3.0.3 with no problems except for the following:
    All three have about 430 GB of sample libraries. When "Quicksound" is set to "recursive search", clicking on any high-level folder in the tree view will cause the machine to appear to "hang" for as much as 8 minutes (digging down to the lowest level folder you want, using the little + buttons, will usually not cause this, but sometimes does anyway). At first we thought the machines had crashed, and I think many users will think the same - but if you just wait, it will come back to life after 5-8 minutes.

I contacted Tascam about this. At first they hadn't heard of it, but now they have more reports of this happening. I think many will mis-identify this as a crash, but its not - its still bad though!

Other than that (very serious) flaw, its running very well on all three machines. Note that you can get around this by selecting "local" rather than "recursive", but that limits the usefulness of Quicksound enormously.

why did you decide to buy a via board???

of cause it has the same cpu performance but the overall troughput speed is way beyond the nforce 3 or 4.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    why did you decide to buy a via board???

of cause it has the same cpu performance but the overall troughput speed is way beyond the nforce 3 or 4.
    I decided on the A8V for a few reasons:

1) I've had good luck with Asus, and read a number of posts on the net about people needing to return their MSI boards multiple times. The same people got their A8Vs working out of the box.

2) The Asus nForce4 board isn't available yet.

3) The nForce4 Asus board will be expensive at first, but most of its performance enhancements are for SLI, but I don't plan to get an SLI video card. Also my current card is AGP - not PCI-E.

4) The A8V has no chipset fan. The MSI nForce3 and Asus nForce4 have fans - and the reviews claim that the chips still get pretty hot.

5) Though the MSI board got the gold rating at anandtech, the A8V shared the silver rating. http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=19 It looks good for overclocking, and this may push the performance ahead of some of the other nForce3 boards.

The fans were the real deal breaker for me. It's impractical for me to move my PC out of the listening area, so I strive for silent operation. I will run the board with a Seasonic Super Silencer 400, and a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink. I'll probably get some hard drive silencers as well...

I would have liked to have gone with an nForce3/4, but the motherboards aren't quite ripe yet.

-JF

Hi,

I just wanted to add that I have gotten fantastic results with the No-Vibe-HD-Frames and the MagicFleece-mats from Noisecontrol. I have 12 fast and furious HDs in three machines and I am able to record very low-level things without significant noise within the same room...

You might want to have a look here and click the "English" Link, Product information unfortunately is german only, but they accept international orders and have a list of international distributors. I know there are lots of companies offering "silent" stuff, but these guys really rock (btw. I am not connected to them).

http://www.noisecontrol.de/

Ah, wait, I just found their products here with english details, e.g. the NoVibes-frame (simple, effective, doesn't affect performance nor lifecycle):

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/noi-01.html

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I decided on the A8V for a few reasons:

1) I've had good luck with Asus, and read a number of posts on the net about people needing to return their MSI boards multiple times. The same people got their A8Vs working out of the box.

4) The A8V has no chipset fan. The MSI nForce3 and Asus nForce4 have fans - and the reviews claim that the chips still get pretty hot.

-JF
    Some people haven't realized that VIA chipsets work for audio.

Go Back to forum