• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: BWV 1049 Allegro

Share/Bookmark

BWV 1049 Allegro -- Revised

OK. I've got to let this go. I originally submitted this to Gary early in fall. He suggested that it needed some work on the mix, but we somehow weren't able to connect again...the update was just about to come out...you can imagine how busy he was.

Now I've had some breathing room here since the competition deadline has passed. I completely reworked this. The X-custom instruments have been a real boon.

I'd appreciate your comments.

EDIT:

I rebalanced the continuo section, reworked the articulations on the recorder, and to some extent, the solo violin. I lowered the tempo just a horse hair and gave the violinist a shot of espresso.

This is the revised version. Please forgive the typo in the embedded info in the mp3 file:

BWV 1049 Allegro mp3
    Bill

Thumbs up Re: BWV 1049 Allegro

Wow, the fast articulations in the violins are awesome! Now, what was it again...the mix? Sounds fine to me as is. Was this done notational step, played in sequenced, or a little of both? Sounds great!
    Very nice!
    Styxx

Re: BWV 1049 Allegro

Wow, the fast articulations in the violins are awesome! Now, what was it again...the mix? Sounds fine to me as is. Was this done notational step, played in sequenced, or a little of both? Sounds great!
    Very nice!

Frank

PS I've never been averse to a bit of blatent plagiarism!!! Especially when it says it all. I likes a bitter back. I enjoyed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Very nice!

Frank

PS I've never been averse to a bit of blatent plagiarism!!! Especially when it says it all. I likes a bitter back. I enjoyed this.
    I think it absolutely pathetic that anyone would want to do this!!!

Frank's alter ego

Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed what you did with this. What a terrific interpretation.

Well done, Bill! I wish more people would tackle longer pieces like this. You got plenty of life and excitement into it, and I KNOW you enjoyed doing it. Performancewise, excellent.

You ask for comments, so here goes. Most things are fine, it's just the continuo section that worries me. First, I'm still not sure whether you used a 16-ft Dbl Bass at all: there are minor glimpses of what might be a low bass, but this listening area is dominated by a cello section which I find thick and woolly in sound, lacking the slightly crunchy arttack of cellos, and lacking in upper frequencies. Boomy. Then, where is the harpsichord? Once I thought I heard a faint tinkle, wasn't sure. So, if there are faults down here, it's certainly a mixing problem. Your continuo section doesn't sound like a section to me, just one thick instrument. Hopefully you could sort all this out and submit it again?

P.S. Try a slightly slower tempo. Could a violinist really play those fast passages without turning a hair?

Very enjoyable. Bach just blows my mind. All those notes! All perfectly placed horizontally and vertically.

Thanks to everyone for their generous comments and suggestions.

At the suggestion of T. Dwyer, I rebalanced the continuo section. I also reworked the articulations on the recorder, and to some extent, the solo violin. I lowered the tempo just a horse hair and gave the violinist a shot of espresso.

This is the revised version:

BWV 1049 Allegro mp3

Styxx and Hardy Heern asked how this thing was done. Well, it started out 5 years ago as a study project when I first became interested in classical music (particularly baroque) and tried to do this thing with soundfonts. It's come a looooong way since then. I originally used note velocities and volume/expression to control expression, which worked, well sort of, with soundfonts. When I ported this thing into a GPO environment, I tranformed the volume/expression to CC01 and also used Markleford's "Velocity to CC". Then I went through, literally note by note, drawing and redrawing CC01's and velocity curves by hand, and fiddling with the note durations until the articulations sounded reasonably good.

This probably would have been easier if I could play the violin...which I can't.
    Bill

Your efforts are really paying off Bill....this is an even better listen now and it's stunning at times. The viola sequence starting at around 2:55 is just fabulous. I would urge anyone who hasn't the time to listen to it all to fast forward to this so you don't miss it!

The only thing that stuck out anywhere was the low solo string note which starts at 1:02 and lasts until 1:05 and similarly at 5:52 & 6:24 (not so noticeable). It sounds slightly unrealistic to me, just too steady to be natural?...perhaps you could vary the volume/ stridency more throughout the held note, perhaps its just too loud relative to the rest....too prominent?....can it be up and down bowed? You nearly save it by increasing its volume gradually. This is the ONLY thing (3secs) anywhere in the 7mins worth that I can criticise! and I've been cycling it around a lot becoming ever more critical as I get used to it!

Sounds like you've got the technique! I don't think that there's any substitute for lots of detailed hand tweaking at the end of the day. The results are well worth it IMHO....this is great! One of the best solos string parts I've heard from Jeep Pee Ohh ever! Heading for Gary's demo page I would have thought....

Frank

Very nice :-)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast