• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS latency?

Share/Bookmark

GOS latency?

I know I'm dragging up an old issue here - I seem to recall it pretty thoroughly discussed back in the original days of GOS - but I just wondering if any/every one out there has *extreme* latency issues with GOS (long bows, in particular)?

I've been using the library pretty happily with my Digital Performer sequencer playing thru GigaStudio - first 2.5, now 3. I'll set up a nice string orch. in Giga, set up the appropriate tracks in DPerf, record "live" to my existing midi tracks, then quantize what I've played in.
    On playback, my strings are *so* far behind the track that I always have to "time shift" the midi data forward, by differing amounts depending on the tempo of the piece. But often, I have to shift those string tracks forward by about 250 milliseconds. Even short bows and pizz have to be shifted, albeit not as redically. O.K., I *know* that string players always play behind the beat, but this seems to be an awful lot.

I'd blame a lot of this on midi and Giga, except that none of my other string libraries show near this much latency. So maybe it's just something to live with, but I was just wondering if you all had similiar problems or if there's a "workaround" that I've missed?

many thanks,

bill myers
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Re: GOS latency?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Bill,

I've experienced the same, which is new to me! Someone told me that it has to do with my Midi interface settings.

In my last piece (Sym. No. 3) GOS were delayed by 40 to 90 ticks in Performer. I got used to it, but it sure was a pain in the a*s*s!

Ern
    hey Ern,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's midi interface settings as all of my libraries would suffer the same problem. Nope, it's just GOS - primarily "long bows" - that are the problem. At slow tempi, less than 80 bpm, I've had to advance my tracks by as much as 180 ticks in Performer.
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

It's just the slow attacks. In LEG mode I don't have a problem. If I play in real time I can compensate and everything's fine.

Well, I use the long bows regularly, with everything sequenced in midi files (Sonar) and run through Gigastudio 3. No special latency problems with the GOS samples. The "SusV" samples are often a simple baseline for branching out into different articulations, and those long bow attacks are plenty fast enough. Could it be an input issue, rather than a playback one?

In sonar, anyway, you can look at the midi events and see exactly where the note should start, according to midi, and compare that to the audio recording where the actual sound starts.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Well, I use the long bows regularly, with everything sequenced in midi files (Sonar) and run through Gigastudio 3. No special latency problems with the GOS samples.
    Yes, just to clarify I use that same exact setup and I find no actual latancy problems at all in the hardware. Just the "style" of the string playing that one must take into account when performing string parts.

There were some decisions made during beta testing of GOS to preserve the attack characteristics of the samples. Many of the samples were tightened up from testing especially short bows and pizzicato instruments.

Many libraries cut off part of the attack to make them tighter. Look at the waveforms and you see this.

I like some of the GPO strings over GOS as they are tighter. Plus the sustain+short patches do have an attack sample mixed with them that is controlled by velocity. You can do something similar to this in GOS by layering a short bow with the sustained samples. Also, there were controllers added to later versions of the library to change attack and release times. Don't have the documentation in front of me to tell you what the exact controller numbers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Also, there were controllers added to later versions of the library to change attack and release times. Don't have the documentation in front of me to tell you what the exact controller numbers are.
    See, that's some of the power under the hood of GOS that I haven't been able to tap into on GOS yet due to lack of a MIDI controller to access those CC's. I think that M-Audio MIDI controller box is next on my toy list...

Go Back to forum