• Register
  • Help

Topic: Buying Kontakt or Giga versions ?

Share/Bookmark

Buying Kontakt or Giga versions ?

I just bought the PMI Emperor Piano in Kontakt format the other day and i was wondering :

Is it better to buy everything in Giga format from now on since it can import into Kontakt but not the other way around ?

I know that Kontakt has not been translated to other formats or supported by other samplers which is quite scary for the future. You never know when a format will die or when another sampler will come up with a great feature ( Like Giga Pulse for example ) .

My thought is that one day , i might have to go the Giga way and i will have all my stuff leftover in Kontakt format and unable to use them. Since Giga usually runs on "dedicated" computers , i don't like the idea of using Kontakt + Giga on the same machine ( If i get Giga eventually that is ) .

Any thoughts on this ? Future of Konakt translation ?
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Re: Buying Kontakt or Giga versions ?

It depends, most Giga libraries are still restricted to 16 bit versions while a lot of Kontakt libraries are going to 24 bit.

Also, a lot of Giga libraries don't take advantage of the new developments in sample technology, or if they do they require ancillary applications to achieve the same results that Kontakt does internally. Kontakt is also available for both Mac and PC giving users the ability to tap into the resources of both systems if they need to (a lot of composers who were using Macs for DAW and PC's as Giga stations, are now starting to tap into their Macs for sample playback as well).

All in all, I think Kontakt is a smart investment, what you could do is consider asking a manufacturer that you're buying from if they will sell you both versions for a bit more money. Technically, if you buy into the whole argument that developers are always feeding us that "you're not buying the disk, you're buying a license" then I personally thing that you should be able to request as many different formats as you foresee needing for only a nominal extra fee!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Thumbs up Re: Buying Kontakt or Giga versions ?

Thanks for the info Midphase

I thought that Giga with Version 3 recently released was ahead of things since it also offers round robin, multiple velocity splits , 24 bit , gigapulse. But most important that it has the "patented Kernel level streaming" thingy for heavy arrangments + good results ( i suppose )

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Technically, if you buy into the whole argument that developers are always feeding us that "you're not buying the disk, you're buying a license" then I personally thing that you should be able to request as many different formats as you foresee needing for only a nominal extra fee!
    The above was very helpful ! I will definetly do that . It seems to be the best aproach at the moments.

Thanks again
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

For Pianos, I would get both as there are thing in GS3 that Kontakt can`t do yet. I buy most of my libs. in Kontakt but for pianos i still use giga cause the of the release pedal features and body resonace Impulses etc.

CdXtract (see http://www.cdxtract.com/home.php) can convert kontakt files to GS2 files.

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    ... if you buy into the whole argument that developers are always feeding us that "you're not buying the disk, you're buying a license" then I personally thing that you should be able to request as many different formats as you foresee needing for only a nominal extra fee!
    Yes I agree with that too. Some vendors are more reasonable than others on this and I think generally a 10% premium for a dual platform license would be fair, IMO.

Go Back to forum