• Register
  • Help

Topic: Specific piano advice

Share/Bookmark

Question Specific piano advice

Friends, Romans, pianists --

I am recording a classical-sounding song cycle for voice and piano, and have come to the realization that my Post Bosendorfer 290 is not gonna cut it for this project.

Two reasons: Post’s Bosie has admirable clarity and power in the high and low ranges but is a bit too harsh for this intimate usage; over time, I have also found its midrange to be basically unimpressive and even a bit artificial sounding.

What I need is a piano not only with clarity but a lot more warmth and depth, especially in the midrange. I’m hoping that there is such an instrument out there. I note that several contenders have appeared since I bought the Post piano two years ago but I haven’t heard any of them. Can I get some recommendations? Keep in mind that the project (with just voice and piano) really exposes the limitations of virtual pianos. I’m looking for the best thing around today that I can use with Giga 2.5.

Thanks and saludos!
    Karol

Re: Specific piano advice

Based on your needs I will say Black Grand, I am no pro though :-)
    Regards

Black Grand is a good recommendation. Another is Milan Digital's library (steinway d sample). Awhile back they posted a classical demo for piano and vocalist on this site. Maybe do a search for Milan Digital and you can find again.

Listen to the demos for this library here:

http://www.milandigitalaudio.com/steinwaydemos.htm

Let us know what you decide?

Quote Originally Posted by karol
    Post’s Bosie has admirable clarity and power in the high and low ranges but is a bit too harsh for this intimate usage; over time, I have also found its midrange to be basically unimpressive and even a bit artificial sounding.
    Karol
    Black Grand and Milan Steinway: as previously mentioned may fit the bill.

But I don't agree about the pmi bos, as far as the wet samples are concerned. They remain, in my humble view, the most accurate bos sound around by far; still better I dare say than Post's most recent Bos, which granted is recorded in a different way completely.

It is, however, a piano that is very bright save the three bottom vel layers, and for my purposes I stick to these layers almost completely for solo piano.

JG

Go Back to forum