• Register
  • Help

Topic: sonar and getting the string section real

Share/Bookmark

sonar and getting the string section real

i understand that the objective of being able to put together several different groups of instruments, eg. a violin section composed of several players. What I am trying to figure out using sonar 4, is how to vary the instruments so that they come in slightly different to sound more "real". How do you accomplish this with sonar?
    Also how much variance is good, how much sounds just like bad playing? On this forum, I once saw a very good tutorial using geniesoft Overture that showed how to vary the instruments. Is there a similar way to vary the instruments with sonar 4 to make use of the unique qualities of GPO?
    jgyoungmd

Re: sonar and getting the string section real

Quote Originally Posted by jgyoungmd
    What I am trying to figure out using sonar 4, is how to vary the instruments so that they come in slightly different to sound more "real". How do you accomplish this with sonar?
    I haven't been using GPO for very long, but a couple of tricks I've read here and there have helped me immensely.

One trick is to set your Var 1 and Var 2 knobs to a relatively low value (10% sounds good to me for the individual string instruments) to randomly vary the pitch and timbre of each note; it really thickens up the sound. Also, like Danielle says, varying the notes' starting times via CAL helps (I use a random-offset script I found on the Web which weights the offset towards coming in early).

Though it sounds better (to my ears, anyway) if I actually play each individual instrument's part, giving each one its own slightly different timing and expression, than to clone the parts and alter them via CAL. But it's certainly more time-consuming.

BTW, you can control the Var knobs in SONAR by creating envelopes for controllers 22 and 23. That way if you have a section where players wouldn't necessarily be quite as accurate (during fast passages, for example), you can increase Var 1 instead of leaving it at the same value throughout the piece.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    I haven't been using GPO for very long, but a couple of tricks I've read here and there have helped me immensely.

One trick is to set your Var 1 and Var 2 knobs to a relatively low value (10% sounds good to me for the individual string instruments) to randomly vary the pitch and timbre of each note; it really thickens up the sound. Also, like Danielle says, varying the notes' starting times via CAL helps (I use a random-offset script I found on the Web which weights the offset towards coming in early).

Though it sounds better (to my ears, anyway) if I actually play each individual instrument's part, giving each one its own slightly different timing and expression, than to clone the parts and alter them via CAL. But it's certainly more time-consuming.

BTW, you can control the Var knobs in SONAR by creating envelopes for controllers 22 and 23. That way if you have a section where players wouldn't necessarily be quite as accurate (during fast passages, for example), you can increase Var 1 instead of leaving it at the same value throughout the piece.
    thanks for your response. Where do you find the VAR and CAL in sonar 4?
    jgyoungmd

thanks for your response. Where do you find the VAR and CAL in sonar 4?
    The Var knobs are on the Kontakt player itself (the two rightmost knobs on the top row), but like I said, you can create an envelope assigned to CC22 and CC23 if you want to vary their settings over time.

You can access the CAL files at the bottom of the Process menu (I'm at work, and I forget exactly what the menu option is called). Select the clip(s) you want to process, choose that menu option, and then select the name of the CAL file you want to run.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    The Var knobs are on the Kontakt player itself (the two rightmost knobs on the top row), but like I said, you can create an envelope assigned to CC22 and CC23 if you want to vary their settings over time.

You can access the CAL files at the bottom of the Process menu (I'm at work, and I forget exactly what the menu option is called). Select the clip(s) you want to process, choose that menu option, and then select the name of the CAL file you want to run.
    I found CAL but there are no files in the folders under cw9. What are they and where do you get the appropriate files?
    jgyoungmd

I found CAL but there are no files in the folders under cw9. What are they and where do you get the appropriate files?
    CW9? I thought you said you were using SONAR 4.

Without knowing the directory structure of your system, all I can suggest is that you use the Windows Search function (from the Windows Start menu) and look for *.CAL files.
    -- Jeff Lee

Go Back to forum