• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Holiday Piece

Share/Bookmark

Holiday Piece

Here is my piece that didn't make it on the Christmas CD. I didn't start working on this until too late, and completely missed the deadline.

It starts in Eb and ends in A, and goes many places in between. I wanted to use the new updates, but up until halfway through only uses the vibrato control (and some miserably failed attempts at portamento, which I since removed). So I had to step up the tempo a bit to implement the new aggressive patches. I used a lot of instruments, and tried to be as specific as possible with each one. This is 100% GPO.

I hope you all enjoy it, and have a wonderful holiday season!

Orchestral Fantasie on the Wexford Carol

http://www.houseofblackbirds.com/mp3...alFantasie.mp3

Re: Holiday Piece

Truly beautiful . . . very well done indeed! Fantastic harmonies, and great overall orchestration for that matter. Thanks for sharing, I'll certainly be listening to this for while. I might even steal it for my serenade . . . Just kidding!

As I said before, great orchestration, especially those awesome crescendos! Thanks for sharing! What sequencer did you use? (I'm just curious.) Great percussion, and brass . . . I must deem you another GPO orchestration master!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

listening now, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    listening now, very nice!
    WOW, very nice indeed Jack!
    DPDan

Thanks for listening, Sean. I used DP 4.12 and 11 instances of GPO--although not at the same time. I rendered the tracks as audio and mixed from there. Did you feel the balance was okay? I was a little worried the trumpets were too loud at the end, but I was reassured that it was fine.

I also assembled a large string section using individual instruments for the divisi parts; ended up with about 35 or so tracks for the strings. The solo violin is the Gagliano; I've heard a lot of Guarneri in people's demos, and I've used it myself in a couple of projects, so I ruled out using it again. Besides, of the three the Gagliano just had the right character.

I tried to be as specific as possible with every element. It always strikes as ironic how we try to get perfect timing performances from live players and with MIDI, we go through and slop up the timing to create realism. I was going through the string parts and randomizing all the pizz's like crazy, futzing up entrances and releases. All I need now is some room tone. Or a live performance...now, that would be even better!

I am far from being an orchestration master, but I appreciate the comment! I am very happy you enjoyed the piece; it was a lot of work. Enjoy and have a wonderful holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    WOW, very nice indeed Jack!
    DPDan
    Glad you enjoyed it DPDAN; thank you for listening.

Hearty congratulations! A fine piece - beautiful! I really enjoyed it, and look forward to hearing more of your work. You have a great gift for composition.

Terry Dwyer

[QUOTE=jmc]Here is my piece that didn't make it on the Christmas CD. I didn't start working on this until too late, and completely missed the deadline.

Way to go! Great writing job! Excellent dynamics! The strings' entry at 02:42 is very nice.

What a talented dude you are. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

Thank you everyone for listening! Larry, I painted the strings out of the orchestration so when they came back in at that moment it would be very dramatic and expansive. Glad I was able to achieve the effect.

I had an idea for a transparency experiment, muting certain sections at times to dissect the orchestration...I'm going to put that together.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    I rendered the tracks as audio and mixed from there. Did you feel the balance was okay? I was a little worried the trumpets were too loud at the end, but I was reassured that it was fine.
    The trumpets sounded great to me. I do like the sound of loud powerful brass . . .

Perhaps next Christmas there will be a Volume 2 CD featuring more Christmas inspired music . . . I hope so! I just can't get enough of it . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast