• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A rather Jazzy Trio bit...

Share/Bookmark

A rather Jazzy Trio bit...

'ello

http://www.samferrara.com/jazz/Samantha.mp3

PMI Bosendoerfer 290, Pure Guitars Acoustic Bass - Aggressive, and Fluid r3 Brush Drumset.

Comments?

~FireGS
    Current Mood: *happily depressed? *
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Re: A rather Jazzy Trio bit...

For a 16 year old (in a few days) your output certainly is... eclectic...

Ya know, I have NO LIFE. This is all i do. Plus, i have a lot of old stuff from when i diddn't have GPO or anything else... hehe

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Play it again Sam....very nice!

I've only just noticed that you're 16yrs old.....lucky for some! That gives you one great advantage and that is more time to experiment (relatively speaking). I think that some of your success, apart from careful and intelligent MIDI tweaking is down to the real backgrounds you use.

Rather than placing your sounds on a blank canvas you are using audience coughs, record groove noise etc and real ambience to fill in the gaps that our brain looks for to spot the fake. Do you use any special reverbs or impulses. What samples have you used to build these real backgrounds?

Come on, spill the beans or we'll stop your pocket money! (allowance us)

Frank

PS, Sam, How about posting something done in GPO with your MIDI files so that we can see what you can achieve with that?

Sam,

The piano is a bit distorted. But otherwise is nice. So after reading the post above it sounds like you are just loading up midi files and recording them?
    Or are you actually playing the instruments?

Cheers,
    JS

Danielle -- I see your point, and you are toally right. To be honest this time, i did not know this was a written song! My mother is a keyboardist and she has been playing this song for quite some time now, and the file i posted is actually one her her performances that i recorded a while back (using a MIDI Keyboard...not audio). Next time, ill look around a little bit more like you.

Frank -- I use Impulse reverb...the impulses i use are just ones i Download from the net..nothing special..and i just use the Bela D "Scoring noise". http://www.beladmedia.com/belad4free.htm (10 mbs)

js33 -- the piano is distorted for a purpose, if you listen carefully to the whole song youll hear everythign is distorted, and there are scratches, dust-sounds, to give it an old vinyl effect.. i didnt want it to go overboard so its subtle but effective.

~FireGS

Current Mood: *why bother*
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    Danielle -- I see your point, and you are toally right. To be honest this time, i did not know this was a written song! My mother is a keyboardist and she has been playing this song for quite some time now, and the file i posted is actually one her her performances that i recorded a while back (using a MIDI Keyboard...not audio). Next time, ill look around a little bit more like you.

Frank -- I use Impulse reverb...the impulses i use are just ones i Download from the net..nothing special..and i just use the Bela D "Scoring noise". http://www.beladmedia.com/belad4free.htm (10 mbs)

js33 -- the piano is distorted for a purpose, if you listen carefully to the whole song youll hear everythign is distorted, and there are scratches, dust-sounds, to give it an old vinyl effect.. i didnt want it to go overboard so its subtle but effective.

~FireGS

Current Mood: *why bother*
    Thanks a lot for sharing that with us Sam (you're not all bad! ), I think I got hold of Belamedia's noise sample at the time. I thought I heard a record's needle in groove noise stuff (what did you use for that?)....I'm all for that sort of emulation myself....makes all the difference although I'm not crazy about the piano clipping...I don't think that adds to realism to be honest because even when recording techniques were less clinical, than they are today, I don't think they would have distorted!

I just suggested your name a possible expert on the violin. I made a comment on a 3secs note of the violin in Bills great rendition of BWV 1049 Allegro -- Revised thread. I, for one, would like to learn, from a violinist like yourself, what could be done to improve this. Perhaps you could give it a listen and comment if you can find the time.

Cheers

Frank

PS Regarding your currrent mood , you should bother as I suspect you're a rather talented lad!

Frank -- for the old vinyl sounds and stuff like that, i used a VST/DirectX Plugin aptly called, "Vinyl".

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl

its free! w00t!

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Frank -- for the old vinyl sounds and stuff like that, i used a VST/DirectX Plugin aptly called, "Vinyl".

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl

its free! w00t!

~FireGS
    Thanks again Sam....I already have that too. As a matter of interest I also have Pure Guitars and PMI Bosendorfer 290 but no time to use it all because I have become addicted to posting crap!!!!

Frank

the file i posted is actually one her her performances
    Hey Sam, there's nothing wrong with being interested in sound production. Producers spend quite a bit of time on other people's material. It's just that they get the production credit, not the writing and performance credit. It's a good gig. It beats being on the road...I've been going in that direction myself putting sound and music (mine, in this case) to video. It's a kick.

So you may want to go ahead and give credit to Del Ahlin on this as Danielle suggested. It's an incredible midi performance and is sonically nearly identical (minus the vinyl noise and a slightly longer section of silence at the intro) to the mp3 you posted. Same tempo, even exactly the same length, and, hey, the same drummer and bass player.

No need to give up ("why bother"). Follow your interests.
    Bill

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast