• Register
  • Help

Topic: SONAR: auto-legato via CAL?

Share/Bookmark

SONAR: auto-legato via CAL?

I was wondering if any SONAR users had written a CAL procedure to automatically insert sustain on/off events to bridge the areas wherever two notes touch or overlap.

For example, if playing a solo line on the keyboard, put in a sustain anywhere a note begins before the previous note ends; or if playing the line on a wind controller, putting it in wherever a note begins exactly as another note ends (i.e. changing the fingering without tonguing and thus interrupting the airflow).

I just thought, before diving in to the unevenly documented world of CAL, it might be prudent to see if anyone else has already invented the wheel.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: SONAR: auto-legato via CAL?

I haven't done exactly what you need, but have written several cal programs.

If you run into problems, post again; there are also a very few people experienced with CAL on the cakewalk forum:

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=12

Good luck!

Godfrey
    Go here
    Look down the page to find MFX Auto Legato
    The author of these plugs, Markleford, is a regular on this forum
    Bill

Many thanks, gugliel and billp!
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

billp, the plugin works great in the first case I mentioned -- notes which overlap -- but it doesn't work in the second case, where one note ends on the same tick as another begins.

Do you know if there's any way to make the plugin work in the second case as well?

THanks,
    -- Jeff Lee

Godfrey,
    Here's my take on the legato issue.

If you want to use GPO in the best way, insert the CC64 events (off and on) in the places you want legato. That way, you know exactly what you have in terms of midi events and can actually see the legato (pedal events) in notation programs and sequencers.

If you want a legato passage, the "pedal down" (CC64>64...I think) event would be inserted after the first note in the passage. The "pedal up" (CC64<64) event can be inserted immediately after the "note on" of the last note in the passage.

OTOH...
    If you want to just use overlaps and you have passages where the notes do not overlap, select the notes in the passage that you want to overlap (to produce the legato) and use the "Length" function in SONAR to slightly increase the length of the notes by a few percent so they overlap...or use the piano roll to do it note by note. Then the Auto Legato plug will do the job.

AND
    There is a LEGATO.CAL that ships with SONAR (PE, at least) that's in the "Sample Content" folder. I haven't used it.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    If you want to use GPO in the best way, insert the CC64 events (off and on) in the places you want legato. That way, you know exactly what you have in terms of midi events and can actually see the legato (pedal events) in notation programs and sequencers.
    The main reason I want it is that I just purchased a WX5 wind controller. It hasn't arrived yet, but from what I've gathered, when one tongues a note, there will be a distinct gap between notes; but if one simply changes fingering, the note off and note on events will occur at the same time.

Given the way real wind instruments are played, it makes sense (to me, at least) to have some mechanism to automatically trigger the legato when a note isn't tongued (and therefore wouldn't have much of an attack in real life).
    -- Jeff Lee

Jeff,

I see what you mean about the tounguing/legato issue. I went to the Yamaha site and read the info on this thing and there were some aspects of its operation that weren't exactly clear. But it does look like you have some control in the DIP switch settings over its interpretation of aspects of your personal playing style.

Are you getting the MFC10 Foot Controller. I got to admit, I don't know anything about this piece of gear, but in reading, it looks like the foot controller could possibly be used or mapped as a sustain/legato pedal. If so, it would transmit the CC64's.

I think another forum member...can't remember...maybe Haydn...has one of these WX5's. If he doesn't pick up on this thread, post something in the General forum and see if you get some bites.

It's hard to imagine that you wouldn't go in and tweak the track once you've recorded it, so the fixing of unoverlapped notes, or the use of the LEGATO.CAL routine would probably still be an option in any case.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Are you getting the MFC10 Foot Controller. I got to admit, I don't know anything about this piece of gear, but in reading, it looks like the foot controller could possibly be used or mapped as a sustain/legato pedal. If so, it would transmit the CC64's.
    I figure if I need it, I can always use one of my keyboard's pedals; I use SONAR, so I can set the track to receive MIDI messages on all channels while I'm recording.

It's hard to imagine that you wouldn't go in and tweak the track once you've recorded it
    Hmmm... you mean, actually alter a recording that's not quite perfect, rather than compulsively re-doing it until I'm satisfied? I'll admit the idea has some merit...

(I wish that was sarcasm...)
    -- Jeff Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Hmmm... you mean, actually alter a recording that's not quite perfect, rather than compulsively re-doing it until I'm satisfied? I'll admit the idea has some merit...
    I'll second that. I went throught my Brandenburg piece so many times for just one more tweak to the violin that I can't even listen to it anymore..."satisfied"...now there's a foreign notion.
    Bill

Go Back to forum