• Register
  • Help

Topic: Now for something completely different!

Share/Bookmark

Now for something completely different!

Ok, so I started this yesterday. I am making my first pop tune, and this will almost definitely be featuring a female pop vocalist. I took a little bit of everything into this mix, with many orchestral elements. QLSO Gold was used extensively for strings along with some trumpets. I've had a shady review on this, and want to get opinions of fellow musicians who actually understand music.

Please hold any biased opinions of film scores or orchestral writing. This is a pop tune. Hopefully, like most of the time, any imperfections will be covered up by a good singer and having it well mixed in.

This feels like a spy movie maybe. It's Dance/Rock/Orchestral/Spy Movie. I Heinz 57 Ketchup song as you say! I don't even know what genre this thing is anymore. Need opinions on mixing/production/composition/ etc.

I don't want to jump TOO far in if there are major issues!

Has no intro, and only 50 seconds done. Imagine vocals are on top.

http://www.hudsonstudios.net/heavy.mp3

Jared Hudson

Re: Now for something completely different!

I love it~
    This would sell in 5 seconds in the corporate audio world.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Great Jared, head off to the video games manufacturers it would go down a storm I reckon!! Also it wouldn't be the first film to have this sort of music to suit a particular mood.

I loved the heavy guitar work at the beginning (what did you use?) but, personally, would have preferred more guitars doing the melody 'scream' although the strings horns etc are very effective!

Frank

Thumbs up Re: Now for something completely different!

Really good, it has this power...
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Smile Re: Now for something completely different!

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    This would sell in 5 seconds in the corporate audio world.
    I have to agree --- very nice work! There is a lot of air and it is very well balanced overall. Particularly nice is that you resisted the temptation to bring the orchestral flairs too far upfront so that they enhance without detracting from what's really driving the piece. I'd love to hear this with the vocals. I don't think you'll have any trouble incorporating them as there seems to be plenty of space for them to sit well. Nice job.

Chris

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hey Jared,

I have a couple of specific ideas for you.

First, the vocal is THE most important element of any pop song, so you are going about this exactly backwards. You need to be working against at least a scratch vocal.

Second, you have filled almost 100% of the available sonic space, without having worked with the vocal as above. So, the end result is going to be an almost solid wall of sound, with the vocal needing to be pushed way, way up front to have any weight.

I think the end result will be a very ungrounded overall feeling.

My recommendation would be to get the vocal on, and then start thinning.

I have the same initial reaction as Francis: that this sounds most centered in corporate/industrial/dance.

The thing about pop, which goes largely unappreciated among the "musical elite" (and I use the quotes somewhat sarcastically) is the degree to which EVERYTHING is custom, from the ground up. The degree of "cred," so to speak, is the degree to which you are creating both grooves and sounds which cannot be obtained on shiny discs and fitted together like tinkertoys. It is very easy to imagine that good pop music is simpler to create than other forms. In truth, it is not so easy, because the level of musicianship in your average studio pop session is overwhelmingly good. The parts may be simple...but the musicianship which carries them is never simple, and is often very difficult to emulate unless one is a studio ace himself.

It's one of the reasons you don't hear too many party bands playing Steely Dan. It's not that the parts are that hard. It's the fact that most party bands don't have Chuck Raineys, Steve Gadds, et. al., to take those things and layer on the freakish synergy that makes the sum transcend the parts (there is a band in San Antonio, of all places, the house band at Dick's Last Resort, that covers Steely Dan and Stevie Wonder tunes and tears them up...but that band is made up of the hottest studio guys in SA and Austin).

So the recommendation part of that comment would be that you need to construct your grooves with as much original content as the string, orchestral, etc., parts which are layered on top of them. The idea in pop, even in the simplest forms, is to create a ***sound***, which is completely original. That might take its form in the particular vocalist (as in a Christina Aguilara model), or in particular collaborations (Madonna/William Orbit on Ray of Light), or a particular band sound (U2), or any number of things, but the underlying commonality is that there is always at least one totally original aspect in a successful pop venture, which cannot be knocked off. Those which CAN be knocked off become the one-hit wonders or the "piggybacks" that manage to ride the crest of someone else's originality for a while. Think of the "lesser" boy bands as examples of this. Some might say that Britney Spears is doing her best to coast on the groundwork that Madonna laid through the late 80's and early 90's. The proof of longevity in pop is to have a sound which is so infectious that it transcends time, or in the Madonna model, to be able to re-invent one's self over and over, and to continue generating relevance by doing so.

Certainly if this tune IS intended for marketing, corporate, or industrial use, I would not bother with going to the trouble and expense. Generic is actually better for that...it disappears, and lets the intended message dominate. But if you intend to spend some time and money, and to actually work towards putting out a pop product, you will need to get the generic grooves out of there, and get some custom stuff going.

I know exactly what you mean. For the drumloops, this is actually the FIRST time I've EVER used a pre-made loop not made by myself. The reason being that I simply don't have specific electronica samples that are BEEFY enough to construct from scratch. The loops are from a demo library! I basically layered a few loops for fills, and a couple cymbal sucks from G-Town. I love listening to dance music, and I wanted to create a unique take of my own, but one that could at least rival the production quality of the stuff I already listen to.

I do not intend to market this. Hell, it's my FIRST pop tune! Who says I'm ready to hand them my cd?!

BTW, the guitars are simply the Sonic Implants Les Paul soundfont, which I converted to GIGA format. I might put a real guitar in, but it isn't a major problem considering the vocals will hide it. I plan for the vocals to be the star of this mix, so I don't need any fancy note work to muddle it all up. I don't plan to mix the vocals with the electric guitar in full wailing, because yes....it covers the entire spectrum. I believe that it is definitely thin enough to mix without it though (0:15 in song).

All my mixing techniques have come from months of listening to professional dance mixes (not that they're right). I'm trying to emulate their style.

Thanks Bruce, but I don't think I plan to be the next Backstreet Boys producer anytime soon. I'm into film.

Jared

This may be something different, as far as what we hear on
    this forum. But its old hat to those of us who do pop.

This sounds like a very outdated video game intro.

Everything in it has been done and done again.

I've heard that beat a million times. I've heard that guitar riff
    a million times, etc etc.....

cliche cliche cliche.......

I think the fart thing was cool cause at least you were breaking ground.
    Even if you're only breaking wind.

I'd rather hear you do the orch stuff. You're really good at it.
    Any fool with Acid Pro can throw out Dance/Pop all day.

But they will never do what you do with Gold.

your fan,
    Toddk

Quote Originally Posted by toddk
    This may be something different, as far as what we hear on
    this forum. But its old hat to those of us who do pop.

This sounds like a very outdated video game intro.

Everything in it has been done and done again.

I've heard that beat a million times. I've heard that guitar riff
    a million times, etc etc.....

cliche cliche cliche.......

I think the fart thing was cool cause at least you were breaking ground.
    Even if you're only breaking wind.

I'd rather hear you do the orch stuff. You're really good at it.
    Any fool with Acid Pro can throw out Dance/Pop all day.

But they will never do what you do with Gold.

your fan,
    Toddk
    Tod, Don't knock cliche. Cliche exists because it is the filtration of what the majority like....keep dishing it up....brilliant!!! Everyone's happy!

Frank

I disagree.

The majority likes what ever they are told they should like.

This is the decline of music as we know it. Hence people like

Jessica Simpson and her sister.

If you think singing really badly, and laying down the same cliche
    beat over and over is a good thing, well, i respect your opinion.

Why not strive to be original, and make music with heart.
    Sure, there's no money in it, and nobody gives a crap about
    good music anymore,
    but, i believe we have more than enough dance/pop drivel,
    thanks very much.
    My 9 year old sister can do a dance mix in Acid Pro that
    rivals anything i've heard here @ Northernsounds, including
    Jareds piece.

Damn Madonna and that stupid "Vogue" single. Will we ever
    be rid of that beat/ keyboard riff?!?! Jeeeeeeez us.

TK

Go Back to forum