• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Gauging interest...Fatar owners class action

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Arrow OT: Gauging interest...Fatar owners class action

Hello colleagues,

I am investigating the possibility of assembling a class action suit including all owners of Fatar keyboards with the "noisy mod wheel" problem.

If you are like me (and every Fatar owner I have ever spoken with) you are haunted by the constant jitter noise from the Mod Wheel. You have probably spent literally hours of your life deleting this extraneous noise from your sequences, and have watched this deluge of CC data choke your softsynths and confound your hardware.

I am not immediately seeking names or contacts. I am merely gauging interest. If we do decide to move forward, it is my hope that we merely use our combined voices to walk Fatar to the brink of defeat, and in doing so, persuade them that the right thing to do is fix the problem.

I am also seeking some expert advice as to a solution for the problem. It is my theory that all wheel and fader controllers probably produce this jitter, but that other manufacturers have designed logic into the controller's operating system that recognizes and filters this "between-contacts jitter."

Clearly, Fatar does not.

Thanks in advance to the administrators of this board for understanding the need for this off-topic post. In order to assess the depth of the problem, it is desirable to reach the most people the most quickly.

I need two very simple responses from Fatar controller owners. On the first line of your response, type in the model number of Controller that you own (i.e., SL-880).

On the second line, state simply, YES, I experience this problem, or NO, I do not experience this problem.

Thank you in advance for participating. It is my sincere hope that a solution will result.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Re: OT: Gauging interest...Fatar owners class action

SL-880
    Yes, I consistently have the jitter problem.

SL-880
    Yes, I always have the problem.

Bruce,

Is this for Fatar "branded" keyboards, or all keyboards with "Fatar inside"?

I've got a Kurzweil PC88 that I bought about ten years ago. It has a Fatar key mechanism, but no mod-wheel jitter. I don't know who designed/produced the PC88's mod wheel.

Anyway, one thing to establish clearly is who has been affected, and who has not.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I've got a Kurzweil PC88 that I bought about ten years ago. It has a Fatar key mechanism, but no mod-wheel jitter. I don't know who designed/produced the PC88's mod wheel.
    Fatar produces keybeds for Kurzweil keyboards and some Korg keyboards (Triton LE, Korg Karma). In these cases, I think Fatar only produces the keybed (not the mod wheels or joysticks).

Bruce,

have you actually contacted Fatar personally? And if so, what was their response to the problem? Is this something that could be corrected by updating the ROM?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Studio 90+ and Studio 900 (2 seperate models)
    Yes - I experienced this problem - since replaced with a Kurzweil PC88

SL-880

I've only noticed this happening once

I've got an SL880, and yes, I do experience the problem. Funny, I thought I was the only one...!

Usually the problem is mitigated by moving the wheel an extra time. The problem might then reappear after a while, but I haven't figured out what the trigger is.

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

SL-990 Pro, leaked mod controller data right out of the box.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast