• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: So, what do you think of Gigapulse....?

Share/Bookmark

So, what do you think of Gigapulse....?

Now that it's been out a while, and you've used in in some mixes, and generally got to know it...

What do you think? How does it compare with other impulse reverbs?

I'm using a 1.6 mz machine, so I can't really tell much about it until I upgrade my hardware...the demos I've heard here sound very good, but I can't really say they're better than Pristine Space, or SIR for that matter. For convolution reverb, it's moderately priced...how does it campre top the high end stuff?

Opinions anyone?

Re: So, what do you think of Gigapulse....?

Quote Originally Posted by sporter
    Now that it's been out a while, and you've used in in some mixes, and generally got to know it...

Opinions anyone?
    Does it exist? I thought that is was only available as part of GigaStudio, or perhaps that's what you are talking about...

Daryl

It does indeed exist...both as part of Giga 3, and also as a vst plug.

I had been using the Cholakis Pure Space Impulses before GS3, I was hoping that Gigapulse would function as described in the promos (placing each section in the proper area of the hall for the most realistic space yet.)

While I'm sure in theory you can do that...I have a P4 2.66 and a new Sonica-X P4 3.4Ghz....and I can only run one or two instances of Gigapulse effectively on each unit...so I put everything in the large hall on the same position (through aux buses) and pan them in the MIDI Mixer...only running one instance of Gigapulse...not the way I imagined the new product would work.

So while the potential is there...I think my 3.4 is probably pretty close to the most powerful PC units out there, and it can't mock up an orchestra with many more than 2 instances of Gigapulse at a time.

On the upside, I could never run my Cholakis impulse in real time with Giga...so I effectively get to use one instance of convolution on everything in real-time...which is better than before when I had to record everything dry and then apply Pure Space in mixdown...in only one instance of mic placement.

So there are gains and losses. I still liked Ernest Cholakis Impulses better than the stock GS presets...I would love so much to be able to place every section in space, in real-time, and capture on one shot...that's what the ads for GS3 lead us to believe in the first place. I know convolution is intense...but taking 20 shots to record a piece is no more efficient than what we were doing before.

I can run 3-4 instances of Gigapulse on my PIV/2.4. It sounds awesome!

Here's something I do to get a "stage placement" mock up:

Load up two or three Groups with the same Gigapulse preset and enable L/R placements for instances 1 & 2 respectively or L/C/R placements for instances 1, 2 & 3 respectively. Then route accordingly from the DSP inputs to the groups for stage Left/Center/Right. With enough power, you could use four instances for center Front/Back in addition to Left/Right.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    I can run 3-4 instances of Gigapulse on my PIV/2.4. It sounds awesome!

Here's something I do to get a "stage placement" mock up:

Load up two or three Groups with the same Gigapulse preset and enable L/R placements for instances 1 & 2 respectively or L/C/R placements for instances 1, 2 & 3 respectively. Then route accordingly from the DSP inputs to the groups for stage Left/Center/Right. With enough power, you could use four instances for center Front/Back in addition to Left/Right.

G

Also, if you are low on computing power but still want to use a high quality reverb, give the "Larry Seyer Reverb" a try. (it comes free with GigaStudio Orchestra)

Although using this bank is not a true 'room', it is an efficient method for using GigaPulse on a low power machine.

Place GigaPulse in one of the Aux sends and use the "Larry Seyer Reverb" just like you would a typical reverb. (all of the impulses are from a $15k reverb unit and are sampled in 5 channel surround)

Set the wet/dry to 100%

Choose Variant 'A' (which places the bank in the typical mono-in stereo-out configuration which has been in use forever in send/return situations).

Enable channel 1 sends and adjust according to taste.

You can control the length of the reverb tails by using the 'perspective' controls.

BTW, there are detailed instructions on how to use the "Larry Seyer Reverb" in the "Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums" Manual which is available for FREE download at http://www.larryseyer.com/lsl

Hope this helps!

Best to you!

Larry Seyer
    http://www.larryseyer.com
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Larry Seyer's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

What do you think?
    I think its a power hungry sob, but worth every drop of processor! I love it

Quote Originally Posted by sporter
    It does indeed exist...both as part of Giga 3, and also as a vst plug.
    I have not been able to get my hands on the VST plug. Any suggestions...?

Daryl

Just out of curiosity, does the CPU usage of Gigapulse go down when it idles? Or, the other way around, does it go up when you send it an audio signal?
    Also, longer reverb tails should bring up the CPU load, but TASCAM might have optimized that problem away. Can anyone please shed some light on the (relative) resource hunger of Gigapulse, depending on the above factors?
    Thank you in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I have not been able to get my hands on the VST plug. Any suggestions...?

Daryl

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Go Back to forum