• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why does my soundcard stop working after several hours of inactivity?

Share/Bookmark

Why does my soundcard stop working after several hours of inactivity?

If I use my computer for several hours without opening any audio program, and then try to run an audio program, I get no sound. If I reboot, everything is fine. Using an M-Audio Delta 1010 with WavOut 1/2 for the output and Monitor Mixer as the Hardware out. It happens with any sound software I open, so it doesn't seem related to the specific engine. Some kind of driver conflict, is my guess, but all I usually open all day are Word and Internet Explorer. Strange.

Not a terrible thing, since if I want to record, I reboot anyway to clear out RAM. But it's still a big annoyance if I just want to take a break from other work to play piano.

How can I set things so the soundcard will let me play after hours of inactivity? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Why does my soundcard stop working after several hours of inactivity?

Jake,

You should post the specs of your system. The operating system in particular.

If it is Windows, you could disable some of the things that Windows automatically forces a sound card to do. For example, if you have the typical Windows sound scheme running (with the 'ding' and the 'tada' wave files) it might be switching the sample rate on your audio card to something less than 16 bit. And your audio application may not respond.

Go into Control panel, open Sounds and Multimedia, and look for what sound scheme Windows has assigned.

Sorry I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Marko

Re: Why does my soundcard stop working after several hours of inactivity?

Sorry.

I'm on Windows XP professional edition. Version 5.1.2600. Service pack 1. Build 2600.
    The hardware is a Compaq Presario 7595.

I have the sound schemes turned off. I can't think of anything I do that would use the sound card at all.

Go Back to forum