• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aardvark cards

Aardvark cards

I have seen plenty of messages here and on the Sonar forum from people having problems with Aardvark cards. I have the Aardvark Direct Pro which I run with Windows 98 on a Pentium II 800Mzh, with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, Gigastudio 2, and Samplitude 6. I have no problems with the Aardvark in that setting. However, that computer is getting a bit long in the tooth (mouse?), and I'm looking to a get a new computer.

So, my question is, are there people out there who have an Aardvark Direct Pro (or Q10) that runs just fine with a Pentium 4, Sonar 4, and Gigastudio 3? If nobody's Aardvark works well in that setup, then I may have to factor in buying a new soundcard as well, which would really be a bummer. If, on the other hand, most people's Aardvarks work fine, then I might take the risk and put all my money into the new computer/software instead of buying a lesser system to save money for a new soundcard.

I have seen the posts on the Sonar forum about Aardvark being out of business, so I guess that's the end of driver updates, unless somebody else picks up the Aardvark line. I've downloaded the latest drivers for Windows XP since the Aardvark website is still running, though I've seen lots of complaints about the last drivers on the Sonar forum, at least I'll have it.

Re: Aardvark cards

My experience with an Aardvark 20/20+ on GS3 has been less than OK. The CPU hangs on 100% without GS3 playing a note. I changed cards (to RME, which is better but not perfect). My guess is Aardvark is ok on GS2.54 but GS3 is more problematic. Shame because I liked their stuff.

Well, maybe I'll upgrade the computer and get Sonar 4, but continue using Gigastudio 2.

I'm not an exact match to your original question; but, FWIW, I have GS3 Ensemble on a P4 3.0 GHz machine with SONAR 3.1.1 and an Aardvark Q10. My setup is working well at this point.

megabyte are you on XP pro?

Aardvark haven't updated their drivers in a long time. That is the problem. Call them, email them, generally bug them, or get an RME card!

Aardvark may not be in existence anymore.

Thumbs up Re: Aardvark cards

I have close to your specs.... am running a P4 2.8 gig with Aardvark Q10 and Sonar 3.1. I have XP Pro and GS3 Orchestra. They are playing nicely together at the moment. Setting it up involved loading GS first and then the Ardvark drivers.
    Things were unstable until I turned hyperthreading off in bios. I think I remember somewhere that the Ardvark cards don't support HP, but cannot swear to it.
    Anyway, my system is working fine right now, very stable, and am happy. I'm also using the latest drivers.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody. It's nice to know that the Aardvark cards can work with those combinations. I'll just have to get the new system and hope it works with me. Maybe, with some configuring, like George, it will work.

Go Back to forum