• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choosing the right Studio Headphones

Share/Bookmark

Choosing the right Studio Headphones

Hi all,

I'm debating on what brand of studio headphones to buy, and I'd like your opinions.

I've been suggested AKG and Sennheiser brand 'phones, and I'm wondering what experience you all have had with these or any other comparable brands. Looking to spend reasonably--around $100 max? What's the best bang for the buck. Two models I've seen are the Sennheiser HD-280 and the AKG K240, which are each priced at around $90 or so. What should I be looking for here, and are there any brands and models (such as Sony?) that I've left out?

Thanks,

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Re: Choosing the right Studio Headphones

Sennheiser HD280-PRO 's are excellent pro headphones.
    I sometimes even use them for mixing ...

JVB

I use Sony MDR-7509's, but if they are too expnesive then the 7506's are supposed to be ok. I have to ask, what sort of music are you looking at recording? Most have strengths and weaknesses so I think maybe people could better help if you give them a reference?

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks for the advice. I'm mainly looking at using them for orchestral mixing and listening, although I do listen to a good deal of rock as well, and some of my projects may be heading that way.

Hope this helps,
    S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

The AKG K240 series are quite nice. I often use the 'M' model for mixing. I haven't auditioned the relatively new 'DF' "Diffused Field" model but, they might be even better for mixing. Definitely worth a listen.

For cheap and cheerful studio/utility headphones, I _really_ like the AKG K44s, on sale for $19 from fullcompass.com and probably others. They sound darn good and are cheap, rugged, and comfortable to wear during long sessions. Highly recommended.

I'm using both an AKG 240df and an AKG 271. The second one for
    recording (it's a closed one) the first one for mixing. I really like
    both of them...

Tobias

I also have the Sony 7506s and completely agree with Spinach Ravioli's assesment. Though they are bright, I appreciate the detail, and they keep me from making mixes that have too much of what I call digital brittleness in the high end.

Go Back to forum