• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dropouts, stuttering and other bad things!

Share/Bookmark

Dropouts, stuttering and other bad things!

Help!

I have a P4 computer with one gig of RAM and three large, fast hard drives.
    My sequencer is Sonar 3.

When I use the full version of Kontakt with only five or six instruments (samples) loaded, I experience dropouts, stuttering, popping and crackling sounds, etc.

I have used every combination of settings in Sonar. I have defragged all of my hard drives. I have done everything that Cakewalk suggests for a case like this. The problems persist!

The Kontakt "Player" (the one that comes with GPO) works OK but the full Kontakt version does not.

Are there some settings within Kontakt itself that could possibly solve these problems?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Larry G. Alexander
    http://www.alexandermusic.com

Re: Dropouts, stuttering and other bad things!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Help!

I have a P4 computer with one gig of RAM and three large, fast hard drives.
    My sequencer is Sonar 3.

When I use the full version of Kontakt with only five or six instruments (samples) loaded, I experience dropouts, stuttering, popping and crackling sounds, etc.

I have used every combination of settings in Sonar. I have defragged all of my hard drives. I have done everything that Cakewalk suggests for a case like this. The problems persist!

The Kontakt "Player" (the one that comes with GPO) works OK but the full Kontakt version does not.

Are there some settings within Kontakt itself that could possibly solve these problems?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Larry G. Alexander
    Didnt NI implement a 'bounce' button for the sonar delemma? also try real time rendering and raising your buffers to take pressure off DFD and load more into ram..Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Didnt NI implement a 'bounce' button for the sonar delemma? also try real time rendering and raising your buffers to take pressure off DFD and load more into ram..Rich
    Rich,

There is a "Bounce" button on this latest version of Kontakt but there is nothing in the manual about it because it was printed before this latest upgrade. I have no idea how to use it and what its function is.

Even though I have been doing this for a long time, I don't know to what "real time rendering" refers.

If you are talking about the Sonar buffers, I have tried increasing them to no avail.

I don't use the DFD feature because I have one gigabyte of RAM. I tried using the DFD feature but it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks,

Larry Alexander

Larry,

I suggest experimenting more with the DFD settings. You can probably find an optimal setting for your 1 gigabyte of RAM.

More RAM may help, but the DFD settings may be the cure.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    Larry,

I suggest experimenting more with the DFD settings. You can probably find an optimal setting for your 1 gigabyte of RAM.

More RAM may help, but the DFD settings may be the cure.

Marko
    But RAM is much faster than streaming samples from a disk drive. It is almost instantaneous! Why do you think that using the direct from disk feature could possibly cure the problem?

I am certainly not saying that you are wrong. It's just that my pea-brain can't comprehend your logic.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks and regards,

Larry Alexander

Make sure multiprocessor option is disabled in Sonar. Kontakt does not like it and it will cause your issues even with a couple instruments playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Make sure multiprocessor option is disabled in Sonar. Kontakt does not like it and it will cause your issues even with a couple instruments playing.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will check to see that it isn't selected.

Regards,

Larry A.

Peter,

Any changes so far?

I thought the DFD settings are used so you can allocate the RAM in specific ways. Moreover, if you are using samples that have a long reverb trail, you may be required to activate these DFD settings.

I used Cakewalk Home Studio and Kompakt on the same computer for a while (and I was able to load several instances of the Kompakt module) but the set up was sluggish with a lot of latency. In the case of Cakewalk, it may be a matter of what drivers Sonar is using.

Running my sequencer and Kompakt on a different computers fixed it for me.

Good luck.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko

Peter,

Any changes so far?

I thought the DFD settings are used so you can allocate the RAM in specific ways. Moreover, if you are using samples that have a long reverb trail, you may be required to activate these DFD settings.

I used Cakewalk Home Studio and Kompakt on the same computer for a while (and I was able to load several instances of the Kompakt module) but the set up was sluggish with a lot of latency. In the case of Cakewalk, it may be a matter of what drivers Sonar is using.

Running my sequencer and Kompakt on a different computers fixed it for me.

Good luck.

Marko
    My name is Larry.

There has been little improvement. In Sonar, my CPU idles at about thirty per cent! I have tried to clean out as many background applications as possible without crashing Windows.

In Sonar, I add a blank measure or two at the end to allow for reverb "tails". I am also using the very latest WDM drivers.

Does anyone know the function and purpose of the Kontakt "Bounce" button and how to use it? It was added after the manual was printed.

Regards,

Larry A.

WDM? First off, I think therein could be the problem. Sonar doesn't support the use of ASIO audio drivers? WDM drivers typically do not perform well. I would see if I could find another driver. Most audio cards have different drivers that you can choose from.

Go Back to forum