• Register
  • Help

Topic: What are the biggest factors in CPU/processor use with GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Arrow What are the biggest factors in CPU/processor use with GPO?

I will be using only the software included in the GPO box, nothing more.

What is the biggest factor in CPU performance with GPO? You know how some apps thrive with clock speed, others with cache, others with sheer computing power.... Some CPUs perform better than others in these areas.

What I'm trying to determine is, simply, what CPU is *BEST* for GPO!
    (Why not? I'm building a whole new system, I might as well make a GPO system!)

If clock speed is the biggest factor, Intel is the way to go. Celeron D may even perform every bit as well as a P4 of the same speed. AMD is actually clocked significantly lower and would not perform as well.

Cache would require a full P4 or the more advanced AMD processors such as the barton or Athlon64.

Sheer processing power would probably lean to AMD and the impressive Athlon64. Better power for the money, too.

----
    Anyone have any real experience with this? I want to build the best machine possible and I will have *some* money to do so, but it'll still be on a budget so I'll be choosing carefully, and won't be getting top-of-the-line processors. (i.e. 2.8GHz vs 3.4GHz!)

Thanks!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: What are the biggest factors in CPU/processor use with GPO?

Blue,
    Others will surely chime in here but I think it is generally true that CPU is only one factor:

-- The more polyphony, the higher the CPU demand (except if you use DFD--direct-from-disk streaming of samples, when disk I/O starts to become a factor also).

-- The latency of your sound card and drivers can have a profound impact on overall performance, no matter how fast your CPU is. High (long) latency can be a particular problem if you plan to do any real-time "playing" to build your sequences. Too big a latency makes the delay between pressing a key and generating a sound too long to play effectively.

-- If you're planning on loading several instruments, memory becomes an issue. I've seen many recommendations on this forum for at least 1GB. I'd say 1GB minimum. If you're planning on using the GPO piano along with the orchestra, you should definitely consider extra memory.

I'm an old Intel guy, but I went for the Athlon64 3200+ with 2GB memory. The Athlon also avoids the normalization issue with the P4 Intels that can cause CPU spikes under certain conditions. You can get quite a bit going with this.
    ...but a number of folks on this forum have Intel and are running fine. Cycle for cycle, AMD's probably a bit cheaper.
    Bill

I'll be using a proper ASIO2 sound card no matter what.

I currently have an old Steinberg Project card (simple, but proper ASIO2!) but will likely replace it with the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 to gain a reliable MIDI interface.

Memory, 1.5 to 2.0GB or RAM is planned.

It's just down to CPU and the motherboard platform it will rest on.

AMD = nForce (2, 3, 4)
    Intel = i865

Blue,
    I'm happy with my Athlon64 3200+. Neo Platinum mobo with the NVIDIA nForce 3 250Gb chipset. 2 SATA drives. I had mine built by Scott Reams at LiquidDaw. He's nearby and a regular at the SONAR forum. But if you prowl the forums much, you know that you can build it yourself quite inexpensively, well under $2K US, which is roughly what I paid for mine (built).
    Bill

It's not a problem to build a fantastic machine for UNDER $1000 US.

I had a big list of parts on screen... wiped it all out because it was confusing gibberish to most.

Suffice it to say, I could build a whiz-bang Athlon64 PC around the cute, quiet Shuttle SN85G4v2 with 2GB RAM and all the trimmings including 17" LCD for about $1600 Canadian plus tax. That'd be around $1500US bottom line.

Or I could step down just a bit, to a still-powerful AthlonXP setup (2900+ processor) with 1.5GB of RAM and 17" LCD for only $1100CDN plus taxes.... 3x512MB with room for one more down the road.

Hmmm..... that $500 difference sure looks tasty, now that I think of it. That'd get me a very, very nice MIDI controller!! That's something GPO would sure benefit from!

Well, so long as noone objects to the AthlonXP (Sempron overclocked from 333 to 400FSB) I may have my budget solution all picked out! As soon as our house sells (in only a month or so!) I'll start scrounging up the parts, settle in to our new home, and start composing again!

Go Back to forum