• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tchaikovsky Variations

Tchaikovsky Variations

Tchaikovsky’s Theme and Variations from Suite No.3 for full orchestra is one of the composer’s finest works in my opinion. Every kind of variation technique and orchestration are explored, and the gentle opening theme built up bit by bit into a scintillating finale.

Here’s my GPO rendering of it: you can hear the Theme and 12 Variations complete (17 mins.) or just the brilliantly exciting Polonaise-Finale (5 ½ mins.)

Re: Tchaikovsky Variations

Sorry - I put up a dry (trial) version before.

I have replaced it with the reverb version. Original links will work.

West Seneca, NY

Angry Re: Tchaikovsky Variations

Woe, I don't know what happened! The link locked up on my twice. I don't think I have enough ram space on this old laptop to download this large of a file. I'll have to try at home.
    Dang it!

I'm sitting here listening to this and enjoying the heck out of it. I'm wondering how you go about creating this. I think I remember you use SONAR, but do you use a notation program to enter/render the midi. The expression/dynamics are fantastic and I know that SONAR's staff view is pathetic in this regard...I know because I use it for almost all of my work (except the fiddle part on Larry A's duelin' banjos).

Nice work.

I would never use Sonar's staff view to enter anything primarily. I enter everything from MIDI keyboard, trying for good velocity as I go along; then I go back a second time to work the mod wheel. Pedal I do live maybe, more likely this is when I use the staff view: to enter pedal marks for legato. Why all this and not three in one as recommended? Because I'm an old man and can no longer do three things at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    Sorry - I put up a dry (trial) version before.

I have replaced it with the reverb version.
    Ah, I wasn't going to say anything

Fred, I put in an extra bit of reverb, just for you.

Well, I'm listening again...Is that a timpani roll I hear toward the end? I'm probably nit-pickin' here, but what I'm hearing sounds a bit unnaturally staccato. I've had a lot of trouble with this myself and was unable to get a natural-sounding roll, even when alternating the "hands". Has anyone figured this out? I'm talking hear about extended rolls, not brief flourishes.

Thanks for sharing these! They are truly wonderful. Tchaikovsky was brilliant, and you were able to capture it all with GPO superbly! I love it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Yes, it's a long timp roll. I'm not happy with it either, and I had a lot of trouble with it. I do think the GPO timps could be better, and I'd especially welcome recorded rolls.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast