• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1.5 Ghz G4 laptop & memory requirements

Share/Bookmark

1.5 Ghz G4 laptop & memory requirements

I'm trying to help someone get set up with GPO for an upcoming ballet performance and it looks like there will have to be some upgrades to make things work.

Possibility #1 is to add ram to a 17" G4 laptop(1.5 GHz), and we're trying to get a sense of what kind of performance to expect(how many instruments in playback.)

Will 1.5 gigs of ram be adequate? The recording will be done in DP4, which I imagine is fairly demanding all by itself.

If anyone has run GPO with less than 2 gigs on this computer(with DP) it would be useful to know how it's worked out.

Possibility #2 is to run this on a slightly older dual 1.25 GHz G4 which has 2 gigs of ram. This currently is the working system for this project and would seem like an easy choice except that the OSX would have to upgraded and all other versions of softwares as well, so there is more time involved even if everything goes well with all of the changes made.

Rehearsals have already begun so this is a bit of a last minute scramble.

Thanks very much

Thumbs up Re: 1.5 Ghz G4 laptop & memory requirements

It all depends on how many tracks you want to run. I have a G4 1.25 w/1.25 gigs ram using DP 4.12. I can only get about 7-8 instruments at a time to run with a lot of 16'th notes and lots of controler info. But if you bounce some sections to audio, you should be able to run 20 or more stereo tracks. I did my contest entry on my G4 with about 50 instruments. It was bursting at the seams, but I made it.

So - it's do-able, depending on how deep you want to bounce.

Re: 1.5 Ghz G4 laptop & memory requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Johneecatt
    It all depends on how many tracks you want to run. I have a G4 1.25 w/1.25 gigs ram using DP 4.12. I can only get about 7-8 instruments at a time to run with a lot of 16'th notes and lots of controler info. But if you bounce some sections to audio, you should be able to run 20 or more stereo tracks. I did my contest entry on my G4 with about 50 instruments. It was bursting at the seams, but I made it.

So - it's do-able, depending on how deep you want to bounce.
    Thanks, that's very helpful info.

Go Back to forum