• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Frell!!

Share/Bookmark

Frell!!

I had today lined up to work on a (hopefully) really cool GPO/GPO arrangement. We were going to use it later in the week to experiment with the dubbing of real strings on GOS. (Actually I guess one way or the other that will still happen.) Anyway, get this- it's been raining a lot and a tree fell on the power lines down the street and killed power to the studio!! I had to come home. Just thought I'd whine about it...

Re: Frell!!

Ain't it a great life when you get "sent home from work" because there's no power to the recording studio?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Wow, I feel your pain! That always lurked in the back of my mind what to do if that ever happened? Hopefully there was nothing happening recording ways when it happened? Next, maybe a backup generator.
    Hope everything turns out OK!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Wow, I feel your pain! That always lurked in the back of my mind what to do if that ever happened? Hopefully there was nothing happening recording ways when it happened? Next, maybe a backup generator.
    Hope everything turns out OK!
    Oh I have no sympathy for these rock stars and their glamorous problems. Next thing you know, he'll be complaining that his fingers get too tired from signing autographs.

Seriously, Fred, you need to tell the guys that this obviously points out the need for you to have a fully equipped backup studio in your spare bedroom. You know, just in case. Think they'll buy it?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I can relate, at least a little – nobody else is put off when my studio goes down.

A few weeks ago one of my cats found the switch to the serge suppressor that feeds my GPO computer. He found a good way to get attention! I turned it on its side so he can’t hit it and flip it off.

Last night I had been hard at work for a while. My cats were bugging me to feed them (I feed them at 9:20 every night and it was 9:21). I had to correct a little note data and I’d be done – perhaps 20 seconds left to go.

The screen goes blank.

I have to think: “When did I last back this up?” The best answer I could get was before I started recording the part I was working on – maybe 30 measures of music. I did 5 passes to get it right before I recorded and spent an hour playing with midi data. Almost two hours shot…

Later I found the cat had hit the serge suppressor for my monitor, not my computer, so at least last night wasn’t too bad. The first time it happened it was my computer and I lost several hours of work on my contest piece…
    Trent P. McDonald

But the point was it was a GPO day
    Anyway we just made today yesterday. That is, yesterday is now today. And tomorrrow is today. Yesterday and tomorrow are both today. But today isn't today. Wow, this is confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    But the point was it was a GPO day
    Anyway we just made today yesterday. That is, yesterday is now today. And tomorrrow is today. Yesterday and tomorrow are both today. But today isn't today. Wow, this is confusing.
    I see the 70s were good to you, too...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Easily explained. Since there is no universal coordinate system it all comes down to the viewpoint of the observer. The observer tends to see himself (or herself) as static while the rest of the universe seems to be performing a celestial ballet around that point and the observer sees himself (or herself) in the eternal “now”.

On the other hand, to another observer the first observer’s “now” is in the past – by the time the light from any action of the first observer, say drinking a beer, reaches the eye of the second observer, the action has already been completed, the beer has been drained.

And yet this second observer is also in the first observers past for much the same reason.

If the two observers take it too far and drain too many beers in the name of physics, they will soon find that much time has gone by without any recollection of events, so the “now” becomes the future and their wives (or husbands) will make them sleep on the couch.

Without getting into clocks on rockets and dropping balls on moving trains, let alone to transformation equations, that’s pretty much time and the universe.

Relatively speaking, that is.
    Trent P. McDonald

Okay, now you guys are scaring me...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Okay, now you guys are scaring me...
    I guess the mind is a terrible thing….

Something about Fred’s post about which day it is combined with your post answering it reminded me of John in the movie “The Yellow Submarine” (I know, not really John) trying to explain why they were going backwards in time using Einstein’s Theory of Relativity while the other Beatles (or cartoon facsimiles there of) all were acting like “Oh no, John’s dropping acid again just when the situation is getting serious”.

Thinking of serious, do you remember Yahoo Serious doing a movie about Einstein splitting a beer atom? I saw about 5 minutes of the movie before changing to something that was on a higher level, most likely “Airplane”.

Back to the real Einstein, I once read a book he wrote that explained Relativity to the layman. After reading it I said “OK, enough about putting rulers and clocks on rockets, I want the real scoop. I’m a Mathematician, give it to me straight”. So I decided to read an English translation of the Special Relativity paper and was surprised to find that besides a handful of Differential Equations (perhaps 6) most of the paper was just Einstein doing such “thought experiments” as putting clocks and rulers on rockets often word-for word like the book I had originally read.

So…

I took the idea of “The Yellow Submarine”, mixed in a few “beer atoms” and added it to my memory of reading Einstein, tried to refrain from using any word ‘related’ to “relativity” until the last sentence, and the above is the drivel what came out.

Now is that all that scary?
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum