• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New classical piece

Share/Bookmark

New classical piece

Hi All

I've just completed a new little piece that I've been working over some time. I'm never sure if the 'mix' is any good since I haven't the best of sound on my pc, but I hope you wil find it interesting, or even like it...

http://thecatcottage.com/ClassicalPieceLouisD.mp3

Thanks for listening

Kind regards

LouisD

Thumbs up Re: New classical piece

Oh man!!!!!!! You're welcome buddy!
    I woke up this morning with a huge orchestration singing in my head but this blows it away!
    Just completed a "little piece" indeed...
    Styxx

Re: New classical piece

I really enjoyed this piece! Thanks for sharing! I think the strings could use a bit more dynamics, but they could use more dynamics in everything I write too

The melodies are fantastic! To be honest, some of them (in the middle, near around 1:40) reminded me of Webber's Phantom of the Opera But they were all composed beautifully, and the main theme is very catchy indeed. The ending was not as strong though . . . you have tremolos playing, making me think it was building up to something, but then it just stopped Perhaps more of a climax?

Overall, fantastic work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    The ending was not as strong though . . . you have tremolos playing, making me think it was building up to something, but then it just stopped Perhaps more of a climax?

Overall, fantastic work!
    I could not agree more!
    Great job Louis!
    I like it...
    DPDAN

I was very impressed indeed with this Louis. I've paid good money for CDs which have given me less pleasure. The whole piece has a nice Beethoven feel to it which I enjoy. Beautifully written and exceptionally well orchestrated/ arranged and produced. I love the interplay between the sections. Is this all GPO? What reverb did you use? The overall effect is that of a real orchestra, well recorded....can't say more than that!

The comments on the ending are probably reasonable as it is quite abrupt and unexpected. I think that even one more note interposed between the last two could even help helped and the last few notes slowed down.....I don't really know as I would have to do it by trial and error and it's a bit of a cheek for me to criticise as I'm pretty certain I couldn't produce anything like this.

I look forward to hearing more of your creations!

Frank

I do agree that the last two notes could punch a little more, a bit higher velocities in the strings, and/or double or triple stops, but it's a minor technical quibble. Musically, I have nothing to offer, this was just enjoyable. Thanks for sharing this. I really look forward to hearing more.

Hi all!

I thank you for all the comments and suggestions. The endings seem to be problematic for me most of the time. Since I'm still a 'new' composer, not very confident, I tend to get nervous when a piece gets too long, kind of 'out of control', then I try to find ways to end it properly. Not always successfully...

Hardy: It is all GPO and Ambience, and I'm overjoyed that someone thinks that it sounds well recorded, because, even after reading several books on mixing and recording, I still understand less than half of it, let alone doing it myself...

Thanks again for taking the time.

Regards

LouisD

I would probably consider myself a pretty new composer as well. I understand how hard endings can be. Some of my early MIDIs on my website have terrible endings just because I wasn't sure what to do. I'm still no master at endings . . . but I would say don't worry about length but quality. As long as a piece stays interesting, it doesn't matter how long it ends up (unless you're composing for something that has limits, like a contest or job). Rossini's ending to the William Tell Overture goes on for a good while, but since it stays interesting the whole time, it's effective. Also, I've noticed most pieces end either loudly or softly, but never in middle range. Hope this helps! As I said already, I'm very new myself . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks for the reassurance, Sean I've decided recently to do an online course in composition, but I haven't started yet, still gathering the courage to register, so hopefully I will soon get to know some techniques to use with my compositions. I know one can't 'learn' composing, but one can pick up some useful tips I suppose.

Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi All

I've just completed a new little piece that I've been working over some time. I'm never sure if the 'mix' is any good since I haven't the best of sound on my pc, but I hope you wil find it interesting, or even like it...

http://thecatcottage.com/ClassicalPieceLouisD.mp3

Thanks for listening

Kind regards

LouisD

I've just downloaded your "liitle piece" and it is absolutly beautifull sounding.

I am contemplating purchasing Garritan and would be very greatfull to you if you could provide me with some details on how you did that with Garritan.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast