• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composing on a theme?

Share/Bookmark

Composing on a theme?

I was kicking around ideas for new shows to work on after the station goes live, and I was wondering how many of you enjoy composing on a theme, such as "music for frustrating days", "sounds to wash your car by", "contemplative compositions", "songs for a new love", etc. Okay, I'm making these up as I type, but you get the idea.

In addition to music, there will be new shows in the future that incorporate interviews, educational segments, opinion, motivation, tips and tricks, and so forth. I'd love to be able for me, Deirdre, Charlie, Kevin, etc. to be able to post here and say, "Hey, here's a new show I'm working on, let's compose some music on this theme." and put together shows centered on that music.

Whaddya think?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thumbs up Re: Composing on a theme?

Hey, what an excellent idea! I would love to have a go at it.
    May I ask you a question Chris? Do you stay up all night thinking of these ideas or do they just come to you while in private moments?
    Now all you have to do is put all your ideas in a six-pack. Brilliant! Brilliant, a six-pack, brilliant!
    Styxx

Re: Composing on a theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hey, what an excellent idea! I would love to have a go at it.
    May I ask you a question Chris? Do you stay up all night thinking of these ideas or do they just come to you while in private moments?
    Now all you have to do is put all your ideas in a six-pack. Brilliant! Brilliant, a six-pack, brilliant!
    My brain works in, er, interesting ways. I blame the 70s.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Great idea. I like composing to a theme. Sometimes having some theme to work towards is my main inspiration. If I do not have ideas I will go and find some theme - watch people, what do make me think? - read a newspaper etc..

Well, you know Johnny Carson used to say that all you needed to be a comedian was to read the newspapers. Maybe it works the same for music, eh?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

When you said composing on a theme I was hoping you were speaking in musical terms !
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    When you said composing on a theme I was hoping you were speaking in musical terms !
    Brings to mind the old joke about Beethoven decomposing, don't it?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Brings to mind the old joke about Beethoven decomposing, don't it?
    i've never heard that one before

could you do me the favor, please??

Much in the spirit of examining Einstein's brain, they recently decided to exhume Beethoven to see what attributes might account for musical genius. Much to their surprise, as they lifted the last bit of dirt out and opened the lid to the coffin, they found Beethoven furiously erasing pages and pages of music. Before anyone could speak, he barked out, "Close the lid, fools! Can't you see I'm decomposing?"
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum