• Register
  • Help

Topic: New piece for crit... (GOLD)

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb New piece for crit... (GOLD)

Hi,
    This is my latest composition....All comments are welcommed!

http://www.galerieskacelik.cz/obrazk...ic%20Waltz.mp3

Re: New piece for crit... (GOLD)

Hey..nice! I like it! Add some more reverb and I think you'll achieve a lot more of a realistic orchestra hall sound (if that's the kind of thing you're looking for, that is).
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

nice piece. The actual composition is very good. As an EWQLSO user myself, I dislike the violin section. To my ears, it has a very unnatural vibrato, like a wavering pitch that is also in my Silver Edition. I generally use HALion Strings or Session Strings for legato violins since I really don't like those violins.

But everything else sounds great. Really like the brass section. Nice contrast in texture with the strings. Really like the arco strings. Extremely realistic!

Thumbs up!

Nice work

How about some Vienna feel to the rhythm? playing a slightly early second quarter-note. I think that might be nice
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Sam: Thanx for comment! I planing send it into l GOLD contest - so it is only gold...

dcoscina: Thank you very much, Yeah Violins in some parts have strange vibrato...but as I said ...only gold...

Tomke:Thanks! That isnt bad idea...but could you explain it more to me (Im noncomposer you know....so sorry for my ignorance ) )

Earthling: Im happy that you like it! thnx

Quote Originally Posted by handz
    Tomke:Thanks! That isnt bad idea...but could you explain it more to me (Im noncomposer you know....so sorry for my ignorance )
    Oh, nothing to forgive at all
    Many places are sort of known for one or more particular styles of music, where not only the composition style but also the performance (or interpretation) of the music is rather unique and often difficult to master. Vienna, in Austria, are one of those places and perhaps the most well-known style there is the Waltz - their version of the classical waltz. Their waltz is many things, but one thing in particular sets it aside from other ways of playing waltz, and that is the custom of playing it a little .. hm .. more jumpy. They do it by playing the second stroke slightly early. It makes it sound .. hm .. less strict, more light and airy and at the same time slightly funky - funky as in slightly off-sounding, rather than "groovy"

After realizing your waltz is ment to be a melancolic piece, I'm not so sure that playing it in vienna style would fit .. but maybe. Doing it with a sequencer would require that one would move most second quarter notes (stroke 2 out of the 3 quarter notes in one bar) to slightly ahead of the perfect timing, and very slighlty - way less than a 32nd note early. It's a feel thing, that is really really difficult to master authentically, even for a professional player so .. doing it with a seq ... .. but maybe

Music to listen to .. hm .. I guess "An der shönen blauen Donau" is obvious, but also most of both Strauss (father and son) waltz works would be a fair place to start. Anyway it's just a spontaneous thought I get when listening to your programming of it. It sounds just a hair to statical, rhythmically, to my ears .. maybe a rallentando (or increasing/decreasing the tempo slightly) at certain places might work good too ... but there certainly is no shame in this piece at all

Tomke: thanks for reply - I know what you mean - I really like Vienese Waltzes and also the Russian (Glazunovs Concert Waltzes for example) which I think are based on Vienese roots.
    This piece was meant more film like than Classical like. I really want to learn how to write those Delightfull Viena Style Waltzes....but it wil take some time...

Very nice! Put me in the camp that says you got the ambiance just right! Lovely mixture of sounds, good music too.

Perhaps if you wanted to go just a little more complex it could be even better for my taste -- like Johann Strauss or Sergei Prokofiev, either in their own styles, would add more rhythmic interest both to the melodies and to the accompaniments.

Quote Originally Posted by handz
    Tomke: thanks for reply - I know what you mean - I really like Vienese Waltzes and also the Russian (Glazunovs Concert Waltzes for example) ...
    Oh .. you did know about it. I thought you meant you didn't know about it at all. Sorry if I sounded patronizing

Tomke: I mean I know Vienna Waltzes and know what you mean by this "groovy"..but I dont know how achieve those feeling you talking about - so thanks for telling me about how to do it .

Gugliel: Thanks a lot!
    Yeah more complexity would be nice... I try next time

Go Back to forum