• Register
  • Help

Topic: Disabling GSIF driver

Share/Bookmark

Disabling GSIF driver

Hello. I\'m new to this forum, but I have an unusual problem. I need to disable the GSIF driver so I can run Cakewalk ProAudio 9.03 and Giga at the same time, that is have Cakewalk tracks playing back along with Gigastudio\'s output. I am using a Terratec EWX 24/96 card which is only Stereo in-Stereo out. Terratec\'s website has an FAQ which tells how to disable GSIF in the registry, but I have searched through the registry and cannot find the \"disable GSIF\" entry they refer too. Has anyone done this? Terratec says this will cause both programs to use the directsound driver, which I know will compromise Giga performance somewhat, but I am only using Gigastudio 32 and just need it to cover a couple of parts. I also know I could add a second EWX 24/96 card and run them unsynced with one carrying Giga and the other Cakewalk, but I/m on a very tight budget and may be some time before I can afford to do that. Is there another work-around that someone is using? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Disabling GSIF driver

Originally posted by nexus:
    Hello. I\'m new to this forum, but I have an unusual problem. I need to disable the GSIF driver so I can run Cakewalk ProAudio 9.03 and Giga at the same time, that is have Cakewalk tracks playing back along with Gigastudio\'s output. I am using a Terratec EWX 24/96 card which is only Stereo in-Stereo out. Terratec\'s website has an FAQ which tells how to disable GSIF in the registry, but I have searched through the registry and cannot find the \"disable GSIF\" entry they refer too. Has anyone done this? Terratec says this will cause both programs to use the directsound driver, which I know will compromise Giga performance somewhat, but I am only using Gigastudio 32 and just need it to cover a couple of parts. I also know I could add a second EWX 24/96 card and run them unsynced with one carrying Giga and the other Cakewalk, but I/m on a very tight budget and may be some time before I can afford to do that. Is there another work-around that someone is using? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Unfortunately, you won\'t have success with this. The amount of latency will be unacceptable, and you\'ll have problems sync\'ing up what you\'re playing.

The best bet may be to sell the Terratec card, and to invest in something like an Echo Gina or other entry-level professional interface. Just last night I played a live gig with my Layla, with the newest driver set, and was able to run GigaStudio and several Native Instruments synths all together in realtime with no problems at all. It made me quite happy, and thus far, Echo seems to be the only company which has really taken on the responsibility for providing this depth of driver support. It is a dream come true to be able to use the NI synths WITHOUT Steinberg\'s crappy ASIO driver model. ASIO may provide low latency, but its need to take over every aspect of a machine is nutty--and extremely prohibitive of using a machine to its full potential. Kudos to Echo for making ASIO obsolete for even ASIO applications!!

Thanks Bruce. I took what you said and checked out Echo\'s website. I checked on the prices for their interfaces and they are quite a bit beyond my means, though they sound like the best choice for professionals ( I might loosely be considered semi-pro!). There is one card that I could afford though, it\'s the Echo MIA. It\'s supposed to be multi-client with the GSIF driver too, but my question is: do you know if it will really work with the Gigastudio and another program simultaneously? I read a review from last year where the writer claimed he used it with his audio sequencer AND a couple of softsynths together and latency was great too. What do you think of the MIA?

Originally posted by nexus:
    There is one card that I could afford though, it\'s the Echo MIA. It\'s supposed to be multi-client with the GSIF driver too, but my question is: do you know if it will really work with the Gigastudio and another program simultaneously? What do you think of the MIA?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The MIA well for me - as advertised. I believe all of the Echo 24 bit cards use the same drivers. My MIA had been solid and is very quite despite the fact that it lives internal to my PC. The eight channel virtual mixer is nice too if you are happy with two real outs.

Go Back to forum