• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta by Bela Bartok

Share/Bookmark

Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta by Bela Bartok

Hey everyone,

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted anything new to listen to. Well, here goes. As the title suggests, this is the first movement to Bela Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta. I have been working on this thing, on and off, every since I recieved GPO (almost a year now!)

http://www.jonnylostinc.com/Music%20...%20Celesta.mp3

I apologize for the hiss in the background. I have a level off somewhere in the mix, but I'm too lazy right now to go find it and re-record this stuff.

For the strings, I used all of the section key-switching sets for each string voice. I absolutely LOVE the GPO celesta, so this was a must do for me. I also uased the kitched versions of the timpani, and bass drum. Lastly, I used the cymbal patch and the Orchestral Percussion Set Patch.

I hope everyone enjoys it. I know it's not perfect, but frankly, I'm tired of working on it. Maybe I'll try it with the solo strings later on. Maybe not.

OK, well enjoy. Comments and concerns are, as always, very welcome.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta by Bela Bartok

Check it out! I invented a new word!!

"Kitched-

Conjuction for or Key Switched. Also known as the word that made Jonny finally loose his mind!!!!"

HA HA HA AH AH AH HHAH AHHA!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Jonny,

Very nice job.
    A couple of comments (after first audition):

- You strech the tempo very much around climax. Is that for the purpose of the mp3 file size?
    - the phrasing could be improved, especially at the beginning when the strings are "naked", so to speak. It's a little too cold/mechanical. I am missing a slight espressivo on sustained notes, too.
    - a pp Ab timpani roll can be heard meas 80 - not in the score as far as I remember... (apart from that, this celesta section is absolutely gorgeous!)

I don't think you should use solo strings for this piece; keep the patches like this.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the comments.

When you say "You strech the tempo very much around climax. Is that for the purpose of the mp3 file size?" are you talking about where I had the orchestra speed up to the cymbal crash? If so, the recording of this tune that I have did just that, so I was only copying it. :-)

"the phrasing could be improved, especially at the beginning when the strings are "naked", so to speak. It's a little too cold/mechanical. I am missing a slight espressivo on sustained notes, too"

I agree with you. I had planned on doing this big elaborate thing with the expression, but I got lazy after working ion it so long.

"a pp Ab timpani roll can be heard meas 80 - not in the score as far as I remember... (apart from that, this celesta section is absolutely gorgeous!)"

I think what you are hearing is a G Natural in the double basses. For some reason, however, I believe it switched from arco to tremelo. Oh well. I'm glad that you like the celesta section. It's one of my favorites as well.

I may still try it with the solo patches later just to compare. But it will have to be MUCH later! No more Bartok!!!!!!! :-)

Thanks for listening.

Jonny

are you talking about where I had the orchestra speed up to the cymbal crash? If so, the recording of this tune that I have did just that, so I was only copying it. :-)

Well, the score doesn't indicate any to almost double the tempo in any way...

I think what you are hearing is a G Natural in the double basses. For some reason, however, I believe it switched from arco to tremelo.

I know what happened: you probably used the wrong key switch to go back to arco, hence the G... (there is no G for the contrabass here, it's a treble-clef E).

Robert

"I know what happened: you probably used the wrong key switch to go back to arco, hence the G... (there is no G for the contrabass here, it's a treble-clef E)"

Blasted treble clef!! I was in such a hurry to finish that I missed the clef change. Oh well. Adds a little spice.

I know it doesn't say to speed up, but I kind of like it that way. That's what is great about music, everyone can have a different interpretation. :-)

Jonny

Very nice. I like Bartok a lot and this piece in particular.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum