• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Big Band Instruments...

Share/Bookmark

Big Band Instruments...

I've done a bit of reading and checked out various Big Band compositions.

I know that these are the instruments that are very common in big bands that are not found in GPO:

Brass:
    Euphonium (Tenor Tuba)
    Fludgelhorn
    Cornet
    Cornetto (Piccolo Cornet)
    Baritone Horn

Saxes and woodwinds:
    Soprano Sax
    Alto Sax
    Tenor Sax
    Baritone Sax
    Bass Sax
    Contrabass Sax
    Clarinetto (Piccolo Clarinet)
    Jazz Clarinet (tuned for playing in triad chords)

I'm sure there are many others not listed above.

Of course, guitars and drums. I'm not sure if we need these in Big Band since there are plenty of other libraries that offer great guitar and drum sounds for decent prices, but if they are thrown in for good measure it would be a plus for the convenience of having them in the same library.

Re: Big Band Instruments...

How about Bass Trumpet? Or Alto Horn?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I think the use of the word "common" might be a bit stretched...

A word of caution: The orchestra and big band instruments would probably not be exchangable. A trumpet player plays with a different tone, intonation, attack, everything in orchestra than they do in Big Band.

The Saxes would sound atrocious in orchestra music.

The only time to mix the two would be for "Pops" music. No jazz band would want Itzahk Perhlman to play and vice versa you aren't going to see Doc Severinson playing any trumpet concerti.

To me the Big Band expansion would be its own seperate set of sounds.

Oh, PS: The list above is actually very uncommon. I played in a big band throughout college and we never needed more than 5 trumpets, 4 bones, 1 bass bone, 2 alto saxes, 2 tenors, 1 bari, bass, trap set, piano and/or guitar.

Just for the record.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    The Saxes would sound atrocious in orchestra music.
    Oh, come on, they'd sound great (if used effectively). The alto sax is used in orchestral music most often, I think. Saxes can be found in a good number of orchestral pieces, including Bizet's L'Arlesienne Suite No 2, Ravel's Bolero, Copland's Piano Concerto, who ever wrote that Pictures at an Exhibition, and of course there are others . . . however, the instrument does remain uncommon in an orchestra . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Classical saxes sound very, very, very different from jazz saxes. That is what I meant. I would love if there were classical sax sounds added to the library, but they are so rare i doubt it will ever happen.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Oh, sorry . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Big Band Instruments...

Classical saxes sound very, very, very different from jazz saxes. That is what I meant. I would love if there were classical sax sounds added to the library, but they are so rare i doubt it will ever happen.
    You are absolutely right. Yet, let's not discount the use of the sax in musicals as well. No real dispute here, right?
    All around useful instrument darn ya!
    Styxx

Can I get a Harry James style sample for trumpet solos?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

You are absolutely right. Yet, let's not discount the use of the sax in musicals as well. No real dispute here, right?
    Sure, that would go under "Pops" music. You want that big bright, harsh sax sound in musicals.

The classical sax sound is almost like a dark English Horn (alto). I have not heard a tenor player pull it off yet. My college Music Composition teachers son is a Professor at a college in Missouri and is an exceptional classical saxophonist. I heard a recording of him performing Dr. Charles Smith's Sonata for Alto Saxophone (My past comp teacher) and I was blown away by the sound. It is so much like a voice. Very dark.

If I could find a recording I would post it so everyone would know what it sounds like!

Sorry if I come off harsh, I have taken up the crusade that Dr. Smith had kind of half-heartedly. We were always frustrated that most college saxophonists are not taught to play with this tone because their teachers can't do it.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

...you aren't going to see Doc Severinson playing any trumpet concerti.
    Actually, I have heard Doc Severinson play trumpet concertos. Years ago, when I was in the Evansville Philharmonic, Doc came to conduct and play a Pops concert, on which he played a trumpet concerto written for him by Russell Peck, and the last movement of the Hummel concerto.

Which is not intended to contradict your point, of course!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum