• Register
  • Help

Topic: Samples Manipulations

Share/Bookmark

Samples Manipulations

I was working with my sample libraries the other day comparing samples patches with the real thing and adding convolution reverbs, fx and such. I found that some of the real stuff got sometimes less of a tonal quality to them. Usually on strings it tend to get more textural and subtle than the sample libraries.

And when I add convolution reverb, the sample got less tonal in your face feel.

I don't know if I'm clear here but anybody know another way to remove a bit of that tonal quality?

Re: Samples Manipulations

It's hard to know what you mean by "tonal," I'm afraid, but it sounds like you just have too much reverb. Of course the sound moves farther away when you do that.

You can add definition by using predelay.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfen
    I was working with my sample libraries the other day comparing samples patches with the real thing and adding convolution reverbs, fx and such. I found that some of the real stuff got sometimes less of a tonal quality to them. Usually on strings it tend to get more textural and subtle than the sample libraries.

And when I add convolution reverb, the sample got less tonal in your face feel.

I don't know if I'm clear here but anybody know another way to remove a bit of that tonal quality?
    Elfen, please give us more info: are you trying to make smoother the sound of the strings? By "tonal" do you mean some of the overtones are too loud? Which sample libraries? What are your orchestral reference recordings?

Yeah the overtones are a bit too loud (sorry if I was misleading, I'm originally french, don't know all the english musical term)
    One thing is that I own Silver so all the sample are in your face with close mics setup. I think EQuing can do the trick too, I just listen to Tmon sample and found a bit of that feeling.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28123

Thank you all, I think it's a bunch of factors that will do the trick.

Go Back to forum