• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stop me before I blow an insane amount of money on SCSI drives

Share/Bookmark

Stop me before I blow an insane amount of money on SCSI drives

Right now I have two drives, both ATA133.. both are 80GB. The 2nd drive is where I store my samples. It works just fine, really. But I've heard from multiple people that Opus 1/VSL legato samples take a loooong time to load. As in, go heat up a slice of pizza, eat it, heat up another, eat it, then go back to the computer and it's almost done loading.

I have a notion that SCSI drives will load up these samples a lot quicker, probably twice as fast. Am I just dreaming here? I wanna know for sure that SCSI will be a big advantage on a DAW, otherwise I'm going for IDE or SATA.

Thanks for any info..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Stop me before I blow an insane amount of money on SCSI drives

You're just dreaming. Go with SATA.

Even servers are starting to ship with IDE drive arays.

If I was you, I wouldn´t do it. SCSI drivers will not solve anything, unless you are intending to run a SQL server in your house! This is because SCSI drives are only useful in multi-user environment with lots and lots of concurrent data being accessed, like a web server, and not for sequential data from a single user, like DAW´s. You should be well served with a 7200 RPM SATA, maybe the 400Gb from seagate that is very well indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    If I was you, I wouldn´t do it. SCSI drivers will not solve anything, unless you are intending to run a SQL server in your house! This is because SCSI drives are only useful in multi-user environment with lots and lots of concurrent data being accessed, like a web server, and not for sequential data from a single user, like DAW´s. You should be well served with a 7200 RPM SATA, maybe the 400Gb from seagate that is very well indicated.
    I have to disagree from personal experience. Years ago I had a P2 350MHz machine with SCSI onboard. It had a SCSI HD in it, and man it cooked. Games would load up within just a handful of seconds instead of taking 30 seconds. I know for sure there's a huge performance advantage over IDE.

What I'm wondering is, will I see this advantage with huge multi-gigabyte samples like VSL?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

I have not had any loading problems having a simple 250GB ATA100 drive. I can load 40 VSL instruments in a minute or two. If people experience pizza-eating loading times, there are other issues involved. Or they're really fast eaters...

Cheers,

Chris
    New music at
    www.calegy.com

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    I have to disagree from personal experience. Years ago I had a P2 350MHz machine with SCSI onboard. It had a SCSI HD in it, and man it cooked. Games would load up within just a handful of seconds instead of taking 30 seconds. I know for sure there's a huge performance advantage over IDE.
    What I'm wondering is, will I see this advantage with huge multi-gigabyte samples like VSL?
    Years ago... years ago... years ago... (did you hear the echo? )

If you want to speed up the loading time, download the Giga Load Timer here: http://henningson.triona.se/musikbanken/gigastudio/. Buying hard drives won't help, because it's a software issue.

Bad link?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

OK, did a bit of googling around.. it seems that the best option for drive speed/performance is a RAID setup. Too bad I know zilch about RAID. Time to google some more...
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    OK, did a bit of googling around.. it seems that the best option for drive speed/performance is a RAID setup. Too bad I know zilch about RAID. Time to google some more...
    Why not go with the WD raptors? They are 10k SATA drives with a 5.2s seek time. That is what Doug and Nick recommend.

Christiaan

Go Back to forum