• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Studio West piano multisample???

Share/Bookmark

Studio West piano multisample???

Anyone heard of Studio West 24/96 piano? It's apparently big:
    14 gigs, it seems, of a Yamaha C-7 for giga.

Re: Studio West piano multisample???

I don't know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    I don't know what to say.
    Can't tell you more about it then what it says on the site since I'm, as you might know, no longer with Bigga Giggas. So I had nothing to do with the production of this piano.
    I think it would be a good idea to produce some more demos, not using the "Shootout" midi.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

But ... it's like I'm hearing only one dynamic (ff, at least). Maybe this is just a teaser.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    But ... it's like I'm hearing only one dynamic (ff, at least). Maybe this is just a teaser.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    The midi used to make these demos are nice played, but with VERY strong hands.... That's what I meant by that BG should make a few new demos not using this MIDI file.
    The "Shootout" file seems to trigger notes at a very high velocity.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Yeah, I dislike that midi file, too. I'd much rather hear some simple major chords in a slow I\IV progression that let us hear notes sustain and die.

I'm not sure I understand where the size of the intrument comes in. It has 8 layers, yes, but that doesn't take 14 gigabytes, does it, even if each sample is 2-3 megs? I thought the Synthogy thing was big, but it's 20 gigs for 3 instruments.

According to the specs pdf, there are more soft layers on this than other pianos. Would be nice to have a good demo, though my system won't run this. Looks as though I'm going to have to upgrade, some day.

Suprised they haven't posted any announcements here at all.

[QUOTE=Jake Johnson]I'm not sure I understand where the size of the intrument comes in. It has 8 layers, yes, but that doesn't take 14 gigabytes, does it, even if each sample is 2-3 megs? I thought the Synthogy thing was big, but it's 20 gigs for 3 instruments.
    QUOTE]

It seems like it's in 96KHz/24 bits and full envelope/no loops. If so, your dealing with samples over 60 seconds long.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hehe. MIDI Shootout File = Holiday Inn from HELL.

When I first started learning about sampled pianos, I listened to those demos. When I listen to them now, I think the problem isn't just the tempo or the problems of applying several sample sets to a given midi file. The treble really seems to come out in them all. None of the demos have much bass at all, including the demos of pianos I own, and know to have a strong bass.

But it's a great service to us all to have the site up, and I'm sure it takes up more time than we might think to keep it up and running. Is there a way we can gently nudge him in the direction of using another midi file, or other recordings?

There's been a discussion here before about the problem with using any midi file for all sample sets, since different multisamples will play different layers at the same velocity, etc. But would a very simple set of midi files help: maybe 3 or 4 midi files with specified parameters, so the point of each midi file would be something like: here is a C scale moving from a velocity of 10 to 90, or here is a Bb chord for a measure followed by an F chord for a measure, both at a velocity of 45? This way, we would be better able to compare the libraries. Not that I have the space to host something like this...

Go Back to forum