• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some questions from a new user

Share/Bookmark

Some questions from a new user

Hi,

can someone please help me with the following?

1. I can get GPO working inside ProTools LE 6.4 (PC) as an RTAS plugin, but only accessing the first slot in the player, because ProTools says there are no active channels, and when you select this object as a MIDI destination, it works, but only onto the first slot I think. Is this something to do with this version of PT not supporting multiple outs from audio instruments?

(By the way, GPO works fine as a VST-RTAS wrapped plugin in ProTools - in which case I think you can access individual midi channels/slots, but there's still the issue of no multiple audio outs)

So am I stuck with basically one instrument per player in this version of PT? I can't afford to upgrade to 6.7, but I think that does allow multiple outs?? By my calculations, I could do 16 audio and 15 aux busses = 31 instruments (because I can't use more than 1 slot per player) with 1 aux bus for ambience reverb...probably enough to overload my CPU/RAM anyway

2. Is there a simple utility or method for converting MIDI velocities into CC#1 (modulation) so that you can edit the volume properly in Cubasis? I'm a Logic user (and sometimes PT) for MIDI creation, and basically, I can't seem to "draw" modulation controls easily on the matrix edit window of MIDI blocks in Cubasis...it only lets you edit what's already there, or insert in a really cumbersome way on the MIDI even list screen. Am I missing something with Cubasis? Is there some utility out there? I can record in real time, but I just want to be able to draw with the pencil on screen like you can do in Logic and other programs...

3. What is the "work around" for not being able to set the pedal control system to different methods in different Kontakt player instances? ie normal for a piano and GPO custom for the other instruments to play legato? The manual says there's a work around on the website, which I can't seem to find. Is this addressed in the new version of the player (downloaded but not tried yet!)?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Steve

Re: Some questions from a new user

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ
    I can get GPO working inside ProTools LE 6.4 (PC) as an RTAS plugin, but only accessing the first slot in the player, because ProTools says there are no active channels, and when you select this object as a MIDI destination, it works, but only onto the first slot I think. Is this something to do with this version of PT not supporting multiple outs from audio instruments?
    Have you been here?

Is there a simple utility or method for converting MIDI velocities into CC#1 (modulation) so that you can edit the volume properly in Cubasis?
    For that, look here. I think you'll need to use the MFX wrapper in Cubase, of which I'm not a user.

What is the "work around" for not being able to set the pedal control system to different methods
    Look here for "I want to use sustain and legato pedal modes..."
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Have you been here?

Look here for "I want to use sustain and legato pedal modes..."
    Thanks for the link to Pro Tools page

Unfortunately, there's a problem with the troubleshooting page...not only do the answers not expand when you click on them (Javascript errors on page I think), but there is no question entitled "I want to use sustain and legato pedal modes..."!

(Perhaps the page is broken...I've tried with two different browsers today already!).

Regards,

Steve

Here you go, Steve:

Q. I Want to Use Sustain & Legato Pedal Modes for Separate Instances of the Player
    A: Changes to the sustain pedal made on one instance of the Kontakt player set all other instances globally to the same setting. This makes it difficult when you need sustain pedal on one instance for, say, piano and Legato mode on another instance for wind instruments.

USER WORKAROUND: submitted by Trond Bjornard:
    "The setting of one kontakt instance applies to all. But, you can trick it, by creating another instance of the Kontakt player with a different name - for example, if you're using it as a VST, duplicate it, rename the new one xxxxxx2. Now you can have your piano with cc64 as normal sustain pedal, and all the others can have their own setting."

USER WORKAROUND: Submitted by RobG
    "One solution is to record your sustain sections, then bounce them to an audio track. That's fine, but what if you want to make changes? The following works for me: instead of opening another instance of the GPO player for my sustain sounds, I simply open an instance of Kontakt and run the GPO sustain samples through it. Changing the pedal settings in Kontakt will not have any effect on the pedal settings in the GPO player. If you don't have Kontakt, here's another possible solution -- one I have yet to try, so I'm not even sure it can be done. But what if you were to install a SECOND copy of GPO into a separate directory? Then open THAT installation for your sustain pedal instruments, and the original installation for all other instruments".

USER WORKAROUND: Submitted by VitalyZ
    For all of you who have Kontakt and want to use it for Sustain and Legato modes at the same time, here is a simple solution: 1.) Leave Sustain/Sostinuto Mode as Normal. 2.) Open Kontakt's preset editor for presets, which must be played Legato. 3.) In 'Source', in the very right side, under the button 'Reverse' you will find CC#64( MIDI controller responible for swapping Sustain and Legato sample groups) 4.) Change it on CC#15, for example. Now, you can use CC#64 for Sustain mode and CC#15 for Legato one."

The page works OK for me...
    Bill

Go Back to forum