• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Clips and Voice Cancellations

Share/Bookmark

Clips and Voice Cancellations

hi. i loaded up 7 instances of gpo with all 8 channels being used per instance. of course, i am not using them all at the same time but that's how i made my template for a full orchestra score.

i am using:

cubase sx 2
    updated kontakt and kontakt player with dfd
    pentium 4 2.8Ghz
    2gig RAM
    lots of disk space
    AARk 24 Sound card

what am experiencing are:

1. clips and crackles. on woodwind instruments specially the flute
    2. voice cancellations. when i have about 8-10 voices playing together, an instrument is being cancelled out.

what could be wrong? i imagined 2gig of RAM is more than enough. i am not using any reverb yet or any plug in at this point.

thanks,
    sounddiver

Re: Clips and Voice Cancellations

Soundiver,

Your system is certainly capable enough to get play many more voices. A few things you can try.

First, use only dry instruments. Make sure the auto-convert to 32 bit in the options page is not enabled. Raise the ASIO buffers on your sound card and disable DFD (you don't need it with all that RAM). See if that makes a world of difference.

If not, it may be driver related and we would be happy to call you and troubleshoot the problem.

Gary Garritan

Also, disable hyperthreading if you have it enabled.

Tom

how do i disable hyperthreading?

how do i disable dfd?

thanks,
    sounddiver

i was able to get the dfd off. that's by depressing active right?

the auto-32 is off.

any rule of thumb in assigning how much asio buffer is needed?

i will go back to the system now and check once again. many thanks.

sounddiver

i did change my soundcard to a delta 1010. i still have the same problem but more on the clips and crackles.

when i was using the aark 24, i also experience some sort of 'tripping' in sound. i thought it was in the sound card having problems so i changed it to a delta 1010. unfortunately, my problem didn't change. it couldn't be volrage power because i have been running the system on the same one for a long time now.

the cracks and clips, i've experienced before. so what i do is i shorten the length of the flute which is where it normally occurs. or any instrument for that matter. somehow, it gets fixed. but whenever i have the full orchestra going on, it never fails. the crackles. i just hear them.

the thing that's making it worse now, is the sort of 'tripping' sound. kinda like resetting the sound card and makes this LOUD pop. this is the first time it happened.

please help...

thanks,
    sounddiver

Have you enabled CC7/CC10 in the player? If so, make sure you don't set CC7 (volume) higher than around 60. Any higher will cause instruments to clip when played together.

hi haydn.

isn't 60 too low? how will you compensate for audio levels? keeping them around 60 won't get audio levels to even reach 0db. please explain further.

thanks,
    sounddiver

AT LONG LAST!!!

it's now working ALMOST perfectly.

i turned off the hyperthreading and it did help a whole lot. the 'tripping' is gone. no cancellation.

crackles, well it's still there but not as bad as it used to. i did lower the volume a bit so i guess that did it. FOR NOW.

thanks!!!

sounddiver

0 db in Kontakt equals about 80 in CC7. Obviously you don't want to go above 80 or you get clipping. I use 60 as a starting point because as you add instruments, the volume is additive. Each instrument added will increase the volume level. Fortissimo sections will usually hit just about 0 db on a full orchestra and sometimes even more.

Normally I don't use CC7 at all in GPO but use the volume settings programmed as they are pretty well balanced. I usually setup other libraries using CC7 such as SAM Solo Session Brass and QLSO at between 55-60 which is right in the ballpark with the GPO volume settings.

Go Back to forum