• Register
  • Help

Topic: Austin, TX

Austin, TX

Greetings all!

It has become obvious through reading this forum (and other literature), and through personal experience that networking is a large part of obtaining a continual flow of work in sound/music for games. Often the best kind of networking happens face-to-face.

Say someone didn't necessarily want to live in California (no offense to CA!)... is there anywhere else to go that would be worth the move? I have heard good things about Austin, Texas. Are any of you from there, or have knowledge of the game industry in Austin? I've read that it's the third largest city for the game industry in the US, and #1 outside of CA.

I'm basically just seeking opinions about Austin's video game scene, and/or about the quality of life there in general. I am currently in Michigan, but have access to a free place to stay in Austin for a while should I choose to relocate.

Thanks for your time!
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

Re: Austin, TX

I grew up in San Antonio and love Austin. It's a unique town with some history, great food, great music scene, great arts scene in general. Technologically, it is pretty cutting edge.

There are several developers in Austin, but some of the bigger ones have closed recently. You will also have to shootout with Team Fat down there too.
    Chris Rickwood

I was born and raised in Austin. The traffic blows, but the city is nice.

Hope you like BBQ....it's mandatory eatin'.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

I love Austin, I'd love to live there if things required me to move again.

Aspyr is (was?) there, ID, and Ion Storm if I am correct (plus a bunch of others). Plus Robert Rodrigues has been known to hang out there....all in all a great town.

Other than Austin, I would mention that North Carolina is pretty happening, of course Seattle and San Fran and San Diego much more than LA!

Orlando is brewing something up with EA being down there and other developers planning to put offices there...but it's a bit early to see how things will pan out.

Lastly, and if you really despise those red states, you should consider Canada as a pretty happening place for videogames.

What I would do if I was you is look at directories of developers, and figure out where you'd prefer to be!
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Todd, I live in Australia and my last client was based in New York. I dont think it matters too much if you're doing contract work for games. I also know programmers here who have done so much work for an L.A. based company that the company opened a second office in Australia!

The trick is getting the work initially I guess. After that, hopefully your reputation/resume will land future gigs and you can FTP it in.

Thats what I do.

I have a friend working from a remote part of New Zealand (game audio) and he is probably even busier than I am.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -

I live in Austin. Stay awaaayy!! You'd absolutely hate it!!!
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media

FYI, a games headhunter was telling me that there's a bit of a talent glut in Austin at the moment, due to the above-mentioned closings of some key studios. So while Austin is a great town, it's a bit a depressed in this field at this point in time.

Go Back to forum