• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TIP: Setting up GPO in Logic Pro7

Share/Bookmark

Post TIP: Setting up GPO in Logic Pro7

Hi gang.
    I noticed that the tutorial for Logic on the Garritan site is incorrect. I will try to give a quick and better way of doing this.

1) Create a new layer in the Enviroment and lable it GPO

2) In that layer create a Multi Inst (labled GPO1 and uncheck the ICON box) and a Audio Object (uncheck the icon box here too).

3) Connect the Multi Inst to the Audio Object (selecting OK if prompted)

4) Activate the 1st eight channels of the MultiInst. You can also initialize the names as numbers to get rid of the GM labling.

5) Select the Audio Object. Change it to an Audio Instument (done on the left menu of the Enviroment). Next, change the MIDI channel to ALL.

6) Load up GPO and load your instruments.

7) Create a track and select one of the GPO channels (ch1 to start).

There is an alternate method to this which will also allow you to freeze the tracks. I can post that too if interested.

Chris

Re: TIP: Setting up GPO in Logic Pro7

Chris,

Thanks so much for posting this. This will be helpful for Logic users.

If anyone has screenshots they could add that would be appreciated.

Yes, the alternate method to freeze the tracks would be great. We are very interested.

Thanks for contributing to the GPO community.

Gary Garritan

No problem Gary. Here is method two.

1) Create a new layer in the Enviroment and label it GPO

2) Create a Audio Object and set it to an audio instrument.

3) Make 7 more copies of this same audio object.

4) Change the channel of the 1st one to ch1, the next to ch2 etc.

5) Highlight all eight and on the left menu where is sais 'multiple selection' double click and rename it to GPO-A ch1. Doing do will change the other object labels to ch2, ch3, ch4, ch5, ch6, ch7, ch8.

6) Load up GPO

7) You can now creat tracks referencing the new GPO layer. This way you will have Freeze available.

I prefer this way even though it takes longer to make.

Chris

PS: I will add some screen shots tonight.

Chris,

These tutorials will be very helpful to Logic Users. Thank you for the screenshots and I posted your tutorials on the GPO-Logic page - http://www.garritan.com/GPO-LogicPage.html

Here are the direct links to the tutorials:

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO...tutorials.html
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO...tutorial2.html

Thanks again Chris for contributing to the GPO community.

Gary Garritan

Chris,

Thanks for your description of how to make this work. i've come onto a BIG snag that I can't figure out. How do you do the following?:

Quote Originally Posted by chriscaouette
    Hi gang.
    6) Load up GPO and load your instruments.

Chris
    How do you "Load up GPO"? I can't seem to get to the graphic you have in the tutorial.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Boehmrunner
    Chris,

Thanks for your description of how to make this work. i've come onto a BIG snag that I can't figure out. How do you do the following?:

How do you "Load up GPO"? I can't seem to get to the graphic you have in the tutorial.

Jeff
    You load the GPO plugin the same way you would load any other AU or Logic virtual instrument. It will be in the AU list.
    Chris

You load the GPO plugin the same way you would load any other AU or Logic virtual instrument. It will be in the AU list.
    Chris
    I SWEAR I tried this a million times and GPO never showed up in my list. It worked this time, though!

Thanks, Chris!

I have another question for you. (I'm obviously new to sequencers, though I've been using notation programs since about 1985 or so).

If I were to set up a full band or orchestra, I'm a bit confused about how to manage the whole thing. For instance, I've set up the eight audio instruments as you have described in your tutorial.

Now, do I fill those eight instruments up with one orchestral instrument (GPO-A ch1=Picc, GPO-A ch2=flt I, etc.)?

So then I would create more layers and fill them up until I've got my full band?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

No problem Gary. Here is method two.

1) Create a new layer in the Enviroment and label it GPO

2) Create a Audio Object and set it to an audio instrument.

3) Make 7 more copies of this same audio object.

Does same audio object imply that we should make it the same Audio Instrument. So, Audio instr. 25. Copy 8 times. Change each copy to access Ch 1-8. But each copy is Audio Instr. 25 (just as an example)?

Quote Originally Posted by Boehmrunner
    Now, do I fill those eight instruments up with one orchestral instrument (GPO-A ch1=Picc, GPO-A ch2=flt I, etc.)?

So then I would create more layers and fill them up until I've got my full band?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
    You can set it up however you wish. Just remember for every eight channels (one instance) of GPO you need to make a new set of eight audio objects like the first only that they refer to a different audio instrument.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    Does same audio object imply that we should make it the same Audio Instrument. So, Audio instr. 25. Copy 8 times. Change each copy to access Ch 1-8. But each copy is Audio Instr. 25 (just as an example)?
    You got it!
    Chris

Go Back to forum