• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Piece

Share/Bookmark

New Piece

Hi Everyone,

http://www.andybrick.com/projects/ubisoft/settlers.mov

I just finished scoring a game demo and Id like some feedback. Its not exactly the typical orchestral game piece. I guess its a bit more cinematic but I really like the direction it wound up taking.

Its about 90% GOS strings.
    GPO instruments include: Eng. Horn, Bassoons, Alto Flute, Harp, Celesta, various percussion

If anyone is interested I can post the short score and a patch list.

Thanks
    Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: New Piece

This is a great demo for GPO! Dynamic, exciting, and very lush. I love the inner lines in the string section. And are you using the aggressive new patches? This sounds very good! Excellent mix too.

Thumbs way up!

Thumbs up Re: New Piece

Andy,

Wonderful soundtrack - fantastic! I too like the interweaving string lines. It would be great to see the score.

Will you be playing this peice with a real orchestra?

Thanks for posting this Andy.

Gary Garritan

Brilliant work! Cinematic is the way I like it, especially for a medieval strategy game! I really like the percussion, too, and the medieval quality. It almost makes me want to start game programming again . . .

Thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Great score Andy. It seems to fit well with the visuals, especially the beginning. From a scoring perspective it fits perfectly. Hopefully the game producers will agree.
    Chris

Andy that is a brilliantly arranged and orchestrated piece....highly impressive! I'm sure you realise it but it opens with, and plays variations around, a main theme which is very remininiscent of the old English folk song 'Scarborough Fair' probably last re-popularised by Simon and Garfunkle? None the worse for that though!

Frank

Thanks all for the great comments. I really appreciate it.

Gary, I dont know if this will ever make it to live orchestra. I would love that but first we have to see how the developer likes the demo. Ive got my fingers crossed.

Sean you are right on with the Medieval quality. It is that very common 6 tone scale that you hear all the time from the late medieval period all the way through the early baroque. Of course, adding that Tenor Recorder helps the feel. One of my wish-list items is a GPH library (Garritan Personal Historic library)

I never even thought of Scarborough Fair although that is certainly a "fair" comment. I certainly have a great appreciation for those guys although i was never a big fan. Actually the song really cant be credited to Simon and Garfunkle.....

"In the middle ages, people didn't usually take credit for songs or other works of art they made, so the writer of Scarborough Fair is unknown. The song was sung by bards (or shapers, as they were known in medieval England) who went from town to town, and as they heard the song and took it with them to another town, the lyrics and arrangements changed. This is why today there are many versions of Scarborough Fair, and there are dozens of ways in which the words have been written down."

-http://www.geocities.com/paris/villa/3895/

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. Id love to hear more impressions.

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick
    Thanks all for the great comments. I really appreciate it.

Gary, I dont know if this will ever make it to live orchestra. I would love that but first we have to see how the developer likes the demo. Ive got my fingers crossed.

Sean you are right on with the Medieval quality. It is that very common 6 tone scale that you hear all the time from the late medieval period all the way through the early baroque. Of course, adding that Tenor Recorder helps the feel. One of my wish-list items is a GPH library (Garritan Personal Historic library)

I never even thought of Scarborough Fair although that is certainly a "fair" comment. I certainly have a great appreciation for those guys although i was never a big fan. Actually the song really cant be credited to Simon and Garfunkle.....

"In the middle ages, people didn't usually take credit for songs or other works of art they made, so the writer of Scarborough Fair is unknown. The song was sung by bards (or shapers, as they were known in medieval England) who went from town to town, and as they heard the song and took it with them to another town, the lyrics and arrangements changed. This is why today there are many versions of Scarborough Fair, and there are dozens of ways in which the words have been written down."

-http://www.geocities.com/paris/villa/3895/

Anyway, thanks for all the comments. Id love to hear more impressions.

Andy
    Andy, the only reason I mentioned it was to make you aware so that you might avoid any potential embarrassment if you hadn't realised the connection. No other reason. No one knows every tune!

If you read my post you will see that I didn't attribute this middle ages piece to Simon and Garfunkle!! I said, that as far as I know they were the last to popularise it. Everyone and their mate has had a go at it if you look at the internet, as I did, to check my facts before I posted!

Frank

Andy, Andy, Andy...

That was simply breathtaking. You have accomplished some amazing things with GPO. You are a master, sir, and I bow before you.

Hmmm... How much for you to tutor me in the mysterious ways of music?

Deserving bump***

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast