• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why is giga dropping audio before max polyphony reached?

Share/Bookmark

Why is giga dropping audio before max polyphony reached?

Hi,

I have gigastudio 160 and was surprised that some of the voices turn off way before the maximum polyphony is reached. I have set max polyphony to 124 and audio drops to 8 but some of the audio drops even though it should be sustaining. The highest number of voices I have reached was around 110 so I should still have planety of voice polyphony left, right? What is causing this and what do I need to do to resolve this problem?

Thank you

Re: Why is giga dropping audio before max polyphony reached?

this sounds like you dont have a powerfull enough computer to reach gigas limit

I would say you need to post a lot more information on your system before anyone can give specific advice. For example, what speed/type or processor, RAM, hard disks, OS version, motherboard, any other apps running at the same time and so on.

Sorry, I didn\'t list my equipment before. I have:

· Pentium IV – 2.0 gigahertz
    · Windows XP
    · 1 gigabyte RAM
    · 2 gigabytes of Virtual RAM
    · 80 gigabyte HD (7200 RPM)
    · Tuned for audio based on Tascam XP guide
    · Gigastudio 160 version 2.5305
    · Encore 4.5/Sonar 2.1

Thanks

Originally posted by karimelm:
    Sorry, I didn\'t list my equipment before. I have:

· Pentium IV – 2.0 gigahertz
    · Windows XP
    · 1 gigabyte RAM
    · 2 gigabytes of Virtual RAM
    · 80 gigabyte HD (7200 RPM)
    · Tuned for audio based on Tascam XP guide
    · Gigastudio 160 version 2.5305
    · Encore 4.5/Sonar 2.1

Thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I was going to suggest the Tascam XP guide because it has worked a treat for me. I followed it to the letter and get 160 voices with no clicks or pops on three systems. This means installing from scratch and not missing a single step in the guide. I would suggest double checking all the settings in the Tascam guide, there\'s lot of them! Personally, I believe ACPI should definitely be turned off and the only way to do this properly is to do it during XP installation. You can check this in Device Manager.

Two questions:
    From your specs, I take it you are using just one hard drive? If yes, then consider adding a second drive exclusively for Giga samples. Have that drive on its own IDE channel with nothing else. Connect the system drive to another IDE channel and slave you CD/DVD drive to the system drive. I\'m getting great results from Western Digital 8 Mb cache hard drives. If you are running Windows, playing Giga samples and Sonar audio tracks from the same drive you are asking a lot of your system.

Are you running Sonar at the same time as Giga? If so, do you get the same polyphony result running Giga on it\'s own. I ask this because when I\'ve had \"issues\" I\'ve always found it helpful to strip things right down and start from scratch. Your system is very simialr to mine except I dont run anything but Giga. I can\'t be much help with Sonar/Giga issues I\'m afraid, but if Giga works fine without Sonar running then you\'ve got a place to start.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your response. You are right I am using one hard drive. I have another one on the way. Anything I need to know about setting it up for audio?

Forgive my ignorance, but why is having a second hard drive such an advantage even if it is exactly like the first one? Am I missing something? I wanted to buy a SCSI high performance but they just cost too much and I don\'t have another port open.

Regarding your second question, Yes I do run giga and SOnar at the same time because Sonar is my midi program. How do I play MIDI in Sonar without a program like this?

karimelm,

This may help. First, go into \'settings\' and then into the \'sampler\' sub-menu. Slide the polyphony bar all the way down. Then slide it all the way up. Next, slide the transition bar all the way down. Click on \'apply\'. Exit GS. Then enter GS. See if your polyphony has increased. Let me know if this works.

I had this problem on GS 96. If this does not work, your problem may be due to having one hard drive only.

Marko

Originally posted by karimelm:
    Hello Dave,

Thanks for your response. You are right I am using one hard drive. I have another one on the way. Anything I need to know about setting it up for audio?

Forgive my ignorance, but why is having a second hard drive such an advantage even if it is exactly like the first one? Am I missing something? I wanted to buy a SCSI high performance but they just cost too much and I don\'t have another port open.

Regarding your second question, Yes I do run giga and SOnar at the same time because Sonar is my midi program. How do I play MIDI in Sonar without a program like this?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">ATA drives are pretty fast these days and I don\'t think you would gain much going for SCSI. The main thing is a second drive if Marko\'s tip doesn\'t work for you.

With regards to setting a drive up for audio: All the XP settings are pretty clear in the Tascam XP guide and it;s great advice so use it!!!! In terms of physically connecting the drive.... If your PC has two IDE channels, the system drive will probably be connected to the 1st channel and you optical drive (CD/CDR/DVD drive) will be connected to the other channel. Usually you would add a second drive to the 1st IDE channel so it would act as a slave to the system drive. This isn\'t the best way for audio though which is to connect the optical drive as a slave to the system drive on the first IDE channel. Then connect the second drive for audio to the second IDE channel. You may have to change your BOIS settings to make this work.

The reason for this is that an IDE channel, unlike SCSI can only do one thing at a time. For example, in your case, if Sonar or Windows were accessing your single drive then Gigastudio can\'t, hence your poor polyphony figures. In effect Giga has to wait until Windows or Sonar has finished with the drive before it gets a look in. If you are playing back audio tracks in Sonar AND playing Giga samples then that poor solitary drive has a lot of work to do. If you have two drives on the same IDE channel only one can be accesed at any given moment. If the second hard drive is on another IDE channel then both drives can be accessed at the same time.

With regards to running Sonar and Giga on the same machine, I have no idea how to set this up for best performance since I don\'t use it. Anyone else know?

I have found that it helps to turn \"read ahead\" completely off on my system

Hello.

Thanks for all the tips. This is what I ended up doing:

• Tried altering simultaneous polyphony from max to min. Saved settings, then restarted Gigastudio and set it back to max. I then restarted Gigastudio once again. This didn\'t seem to help for me so I went to the next step.
    • Purchased a new hard drive and connected it to seperate IDE controller and moved my gigs to this drive.
    • Defragmented both hard drives
    • set my resolution to the lowest possible (800x600) and 16 bit colors.

That seems to be good enough to work but it’s still temperamental. It seems that I pretty much have a really strong audio computer but it doesn\'t like to be pushed. In other words, I get inconsistent results - sometimes works with better poly and other times, garbles the audio. I will keep on trying though and let everyone know if I can solve the problem better.

I appreciated the suggestions.

Go Back to forum