• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestra Content Worth the Extra?

Share/Bookmark

Orchestra Content Worth the Extra?

Setting aside Gigapulse and the polyphony issue, is the content that comes with Orchestra worth the extra money over what comes with Solo? It consists primarily of VSL content. Is it valuable, or is it more like demo material. Thanks.

(I'm wondering if I can just buy the upgrade from my old Gigastudio 24 to Solo and be happy, or if I'll wish I'd sold or traded some of my other software to get Orchestra). Thanks for any help and opinions.

Re: Orchestra Content Worth the Extra?

If you really set aside the issues of polyphony (and the extra midi ports), then my (humble) opinion is no, the extra samples are too incomplete to be especially valuable. Not all are demos, but of the 4 (?) dvds of content, I think 3 are completely demos. So if you are happy with your current sample libraries, and really don't care about the extra power, don't think you'd regret getting the lower-powered model. All this HAS to be opinion, of course. For me, having 8 x 16 midi channels is more than I need but 4 x 16 would not be quite enough.

Here's the stuff I've found useful that came with Orchestra:
    Bigga Gigga DX-7
    Larry Seyer Drums
    Notre Dame Organ
    PMI B290 (if you don't already have the real thing)
    Gigapiano 2
    Sampletekk Recorder
    Scarbee Drums
    The Sonic Implants stuff
    VSL

G

I like some of the extra samples, but don't really think they are worth the extra dough, however, GigaPulse Pro is, especially together with the extra samples.

I guess it would depend on your current sample collection. I've found some of the VSL 24 bit brass gigs quite useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Here's the stuff I've found useful that came with Orchestra:
    Bigga Gigga DX-7
    Larry Seyer Drums
    Notre Dame Organ
    PMI B290 (if you don't already have the real thing)
    Gigapiano 2
    Sampletekk Recorder
    Scarbee Drums
    The Sonic Implants stuff
    VSL

G
    Are these full versions of said products or demos? I knew it came with GP2 and is it alot better than the original GP?

Cheers,
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    Are these full versions of said products or demos? I knew it came with GP2 and is it alot better than the original GP?

Cheers,
    JS
    Of course these are not full versions. The retail price of the "full versions" of all of those sample libraries would cost over $10,000.

On the link below, scroll down to the "chart". Most of the titles include the word "demo" or they specifically list a single articulation that is included. As an example, Sonic Implants includes "Ensemble Brass Staccato", which is just one articulation from their big Orchestral Brass Library.

http://www.tascamgiga.com/libraries.html

The only thing that could be called "complete" is the "Vienna Giga Symphony", which Tascam had VSL create for them (a set of basic orchestral instruments, not the full VSL library).

As I have said before, to me these sounds are really just extras. The main reason to go with GS3 Orchestra is GigaPulse Pro and the unlimited polyphony.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    As I have said before, to me these sounds are really just extras. The main reason to go with GS3 Orchestra is GigaPulse Pro and the unlimited polyphony.
    Yes, I would agree. But the really slick thing is how there are some demo patches of SAM Solo Sessions and VSL legato patches (like the clarinet) that come with Orchestra (and Solo for that matter but not as many variations for VSL). THese demos are full functioning but limited to an octave. DAMN. They suck you right in. That's how I parted with my money for SAM Solo Sessions. And compare the legato clarinet demo to the custom VSL clarinet patch made for GS3 Orchestra- um, no comparison- the legato smokes it! SO now I am obsessing over Opus 1....damn those clever guys...

Some things are "demo" but still quite usable. Other things are not noted as "demo" and just waste hard drive space. Then there are "demos" that really are obviously just that... also a waste of drive space. The libs I listed are the one's I find useful, "demo" or not. Everyone's mileage will vary.

G

The cool thing about the included samples is that the new buyer will be able to make music right out of the box. And with VSL-Giga, you can make music with a full orchestra.

It's hard to say which samples will be worthwhile for the GS2.5 owner. It all depends on what music you want to make, and what samples you already own. If you already have a good collection, you'll find some good stuff here, but maybe not enough to justify everything on samples alone.

There's some great stuff - like the Larry Seyer Drums and the NDB organ. GigaPiano II is useful if you stay away from its forte voice - except for the times that you want a really bright, metallic tone. But don't fret. The Bos 290 covers the stuff that GPII doesn't.

The best reasons to upgrade are GigaPulse, faster load times, more poly, instrument stacking, rewire, multiple capture channels, etc... The samples are gravy for the exiting sample owners, and a nice foundation for those new to the game.

I guess I look at it this way: if you don't have many samples, the content will be worthwhile. If you do have lots of samples, you'll want Giga Pulse so you can mix them into the same space. And unlimited poly is nice for everything.

-JF

Go Back to forum