• Register
  • Help

Topic: DXi Destruction!!

Share/Bookmark

DXi Destruction!! (Solved)

Well, I have had some miserable computer problems, recently, crashes, lockup, and finally, had to reformat and rebuild the system. Fortunately, I had the good sense to have good data backup, and lost only 2 email message, nothing else. Now I have successfully created full system backups, can restore the system in an hour or so. However, it seems ridiculous that I must do so so often. I have queries out here and there, including Cakewalk, but nothing helpful has reached me yet.

Summary of the situation:

System normal, no virus, spyware, etc. Everything seems to work well except GPO DXi plug-in with Sonar, and/or GPO VST with Sonar and Cakewalk VST Adapter. End result always is this: can't boot, safe, whatever because Config.sys file is corrupt or missing. Can't use non-destructive system recovery for same reason or worse, i.e.; cross-linked files. So options are reformat and reload system from scratch, a pain in various body parts, or restore from Norton Ghost image file.

No problems occur until after using the setup described. Well, a little confusion here. Yesterday, I opened some files that had been saved with DXi or VST, had to delete all references to DXi, VST and save the files again. At next startup, great difficulty at achieving a successful boot-up. Now all is normal, but I am quite reluctant to try using my music system again.

Big problem for me, as I have some mild hopes of some exposure on PBS, and can not now work on my project.

Any ideas?

Re: DXi Destruction!!

It’s hard to tell, but if you keep receiving errors after restoring your backup, you may have a hosed primary drive. If you decide to re-format, I suggest a low-level format (i.e. delete the partitions, start up from Win XP CD and partition and format). Then use the error checking to check for bad sectors. If you have any bad sectors at all, it is probably getting ready to eat it and therefore unreliable. Hopefully, I am wrong but it sounds like it from what you describe.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    It’s hard to tell, but if you keep receiving errors after restoring your backup, you may have a hosed primary drive. If you decide to re-format, I suggest a low-level format (i.e. delete the partitions, start up from Win XP CD and partition and format). Then use the error checking to check for bad sectors. If you have any bad sectors at all, it is probably getting ready to eat it and therefore unreliable. Hopefully, I am wrong but it sounds like it from what you describe.

Well, thanks for the fast response. But: I have already done a format, re-installed from the recovery partition, done a scan, twice, I think. All is normal except DXi & VST. Actually, I no longer have a recovery partition, but as of today, a recovery kit from HP which will replace the recovery partion if I wish. I don't think the problem is disk sectors, because if so, it would probably affect other operations as well, particularly after re-format, new installation, and now, system restore.

Richard

addenda: I have just done a test of using Sonar 2.2 with GPO studio, and X-Custom instruments. No problems, which is right back where I was before all my troubles began.

If I can shut down and restart successfully, I will try to use the DXi plug-in -- after a nights sleep, that is. Question: can I install the DXi plug in on top of the present installation of GPO? I have the update, DXi was not selected for install. Must I start from the beginning, install the original GPO, and then update? To tell the truth, this hassle has wearied me greatly. I sure would like to see an end to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112

Well, I just happened to notice that phi or was it Phi, and wondered what it was doing there.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: My problem is well isolated to the Cakewalk VST Adapter. I have been running normally for at least 6 days. Today, I installed it. Then tried to configure it. But it perversely refuses to find the adapter. So I search, reconfigure, repeat a few times, say a few unkind words, uninstall, and try various locations for install. End result, no change. Last time, uninstalling it also started uninstall of Sonar 2.2, same as my original system wipeout. However, I cancelled the uninstall action immediately. It had begun by removing the plugin .dll files. Then I tried to run Sonar, but could not do so because of missing filles, naturally. Then, since the original problem also corrupted my config.sys file, for safety sake, I chose a system restore point of two days ago, did the system restore, which worked well. You see, here I am typing away. I had to re-install Sonar, an easy task, since I installed over the old installation, and did not lose my configurations. It also works well. As a test, I shut down, and restarted twice.

So: the remaining problem is, why does the VST Adapter cause such a mess??!!!

Gary has Sonar 2.2, GPO VST, and Cakewalk VST Adapter on one of his computers, and it works well.

Any new ideas? Anybody??

Richard

Any new ideas? Anybody??

Richard[/QUOTE]

why are you running Sonar 2.2 that is old Sonar 4 is out now even. you would be better off upgrading to Sonar 3. Also what version of Windows XP are you
    running what service pack? These problems sound like corrupt registry files in windows. Instally reinstalling programs, plugins a lot of time that whole registry is not cleaned out... of course your going to have missing dll files the programs have not been installed into windows. Next time you have a major problem with windows do a restore back to a stable config. your running Windows XP right? I am running Sonar Producer 3.1.3 and GPO newest update and have no problems no crashes, the piece I am mixing today is GPO, Kontakt, Sampletank2 all running in Sonar.
    , and there no crashes, GPO is DXI in Sonar Producer 3, so I can say it's stable^_*
    Calk Walk VST Adaptor will find errors if the plugins are not installed correctly, and the files are fragmented. The VST adapator will be currupted if it has not installed correctly or is installed on top of currupt registry.
    yea computers suck big time I mean windows sucks LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    Any new ideas? Anybody??

Richard
    why are you running Sonar 2.2 that is old Sonar 4 is out now even. you would be better off upgrading to Sonar 3. Also what version of Windows XP are you
    running what service pack? These problems sound like corrupt registry files in windows. Instally reinstalling programs, plugins a lot of time that whole registry is not cleaned out... of course your going to have missing dll files the programs have not been installed into windows. Next time you have a major problem with windows do a restore back to a stable config. your running Windows XP right? I am running Sonar Producer 3.1.3 and GPO newest update and have no problems no crashes, the piece I am mixing today is GPO, Kontakt, Sampletank2 all running in Sonar.
    , and there no crashes, GPO is DXI in Sonar Producer 3, so I can say it's stable^_*
    Calk Walk VST Adaptor will find errors if the plugins are not installed correctly, and the files are fragmented. The VST adapator will be currupted if it has not installed correctly or is installed on top of currupt registry.
    yea computers suck big time I mean windows sucks LOL! [/QUOTE]

Well, the problem is complely resolved. I did not have to resort to restoring my Norton Ghost backup. I do not know what caused the initial problem of locking up. I have a fair idea of what caused the demise of the system, which was possibly my doings, trying to find out what was causing the lockup.

What I had to do was wipe the crash out of my mind and simply consider the situation at hand as a simple installation of a new product, and that's all there was to that!

I presently have no intention of upgrading to the latest Sonar. Until this problem, 2.2 has been quite capable of meeting my needs, and is quite stable. When it fails to meet my requirements, then I will consider an upgrade. The failure was the VST Adapter, which took Sonar out with it.

I am very reluctant to consider the solution to all problems is "buy the new thing". I will only get the new thing if it does something my present setup can't do, and I find a strong need for it.

What I had to do was wipe the crash out of my mind and simply consider the situation at hand as a simple installation of a new product, and that's all there was to that!
    yea sometimes it's just a simple solution.

I presently have no intention of upgrading to the latest Sonar. Until this problem, 2.2 has been quite capable of meeting my needs, and is quite stable. When it fails to meet my requirements, then I will consider an upgrade. The failure was the VST Adapter, which took Sonar out with it.

That is how i feel about upgrading to Sonar 4 at the moment actually I don't think Sonar 4 is stable enough with Emu 1212M and GPO and others.

I am very reluctant to consider the solution to all problems is "buy the new thing". I will only get the new thing if it does something my present setup can't do, and I find a strong need for it.[/QUOTE]

if it's not broke don't fix it^_*
    the thing with buy a new thing is this, most upgrades dont' just add to a program interms of more vst's efx whatever, they add better driver support and stability for running under win xp...I don't recommend win service pack 2 to anyone running professional audio on there computer.

hey glad it's all working for you, having the computer crash is the worst!
    I had a horrible problem a month ago had to buy a new drive and resetup everything, the drive wouldn't even boot the setfiles of my setup became corrupted...but I fixed it all.

Sonar's VST adapter can be flakey with somne systems. I have to touch the volume and pan controls with a mouse to get sound out of Sampletank 1 and GPO.

Go Back to forum