• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some non-holiday yet Seasonal music

Share/Bookmark

Some non-holiday yet Seasonal music

Here is the first movement of Vivaldi’s "Winter" again. I have finished "filling out" the rest of the orchestra.

I used a mid size string orchestra made up of the ensemble strings played in one “player” at a time by hand.

Gagli solo
    1st Violins – 3 Strad players and 3 Guarn players
    2nd Violins – 2 Gagli players, 2 Strad players, 1 Guarn player
    Violas – 3 viola Players
    Cellos – the 3 cello solos
    Bass – Bass solo
    Harpsichord

I tried to get a small hall sound.

The 30 seconds or so are a little choppy and after mixing down to audio I hear a wrong note standing out. Besides this I hope you like it. And I hope Sean and Styxx enjoy the more fiddly (or is it fiddlier?) version.

Any comments?
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Some non-holiday yet Seasonal music

I redid it adding in the sus&short AG for the two violin sections, the violas and the cellos (celli?) here - 1st Movement of Vivaldi's Winter

I also added quite a bit more reverb. Although this is a chamber piece, I often hear it done with a large string section like this.
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 12-14-2004 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Originally too grumpy
    Trent P. McDonald

Daniel, thanks for listening and your reply.
    I have 2 CDs of this - one with a huge orchestra in a big hall (it is generic and doesn't say anything about who is playing) and one with Anne-Sophie Mutter playing with an orchestra a little smaller than the one in my first post. I personally like the CD with the small orchestra better but I know this is often played by tons of strings. I'll admit I was a little grumpy when I put up the second post....

I'll take another look (listen) at the solo and see if I can put a little more bite in. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Some non-holiday yet Seasonal music

The fullness is quite realistic and more of what I am used to hearing. I love it , it has more heart to it than your first post.
    I must agree with Danielle on trying to achieve more "bite" to the solo. I can't imagine how one could go about programming that sort of timbre in but if anyone can you can!
    I have several recording of Vivaldi's Seasons. This was so close to an original performance as I have ever heard. Thanks for posting.

BTW - With all the snow coming down today, it's was a fitting piece to play.
    Styxx

Thanks for listening and responding.

The version I posted the other day was pretty thin. I like the one at the top of this post the best, though I’m sure it could use more reverb. On the second one in this post I added sus&short AG to each of the string parts except the bass and, of course, a lot more reverb. I also correct the bad note in one of the first violin parts.

I’ll revisit the solo again and see what I can do. When I was doing some testing as I started the Gagli seemed to have the most bite in this, but I’ll try them all again and see. I appreciate your confidence that I’ll find a way to get more bite.

Unfortunately I think most of the snow will pass south of us. I say "unfortunately" because I have season’s passes to several mountains this year and hope to do a lot of skiing. So far there’s not been much snow…. My folks in the Cleveland area were getting your snow when I talked to them last night.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Trent P. McDonald

Woohoo! I do enjoy this fiddlier version very much! This would be a great piece to try out with that special string thing Gary's working on . . .

Thanks for sharing! With just a little more reverb and some noise and breathing, it would sound like a live performance! (at least, to my untrained ears . . . ) This doesn't seem like it would be an easy piece to render with GPO, but you seem to have done a great job!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks Sean. I thought you might enjoy the added strings. Did you listen to the second of the two versions I posted above? It's even more fiddly with quite a bit more reverb...

Thanks again for listening and commenting.
    Trent P. McDonald

The second version sounds even better, especially those fast passages. And the trills sound great!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I tried to get a little more bite on the solo and even out a couple of places - Latest version (more bite)

What do you think?

-Edit 12/18 - I'm sure nobody will see (or hear) this, but I updated the file after correcting a few mistakes and trying to improve the performance.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum