• Register
  • Help

Topic: Swap - No Swap

Share/Bookmark

Swap - No Swap

Anyone care to discuss the advantages & disadvantages of the Swap - Don't Swap options of the GPO? The default is No Swap, and there it shall remain until I have some understanding of the total effect of changing it.

Richard

Re: Swap - No Swap

I have mine turned off which I assume means that it will swap memory. I haven't noticed any adverse effects with it turned off. I do know that turning it off saves a lot of RAM when using DFD.

If the swap is enabled you will get stuttering sound. If memory gets close to being filled or sounds aren't used for a while, then they may get swapped out of memory to the swap file on the hard drive. When they are needed, Windows has to swap the sounds off the hard drive back to physical memory. This causes stuttering. I have had it happen to me and it's not pretty. Usually you need to reboot and reload the song to get around this.

I have the swap file disabled in the OS so this won't occur. There have been threads in the past on how to make these changes. Beware that there a registry edits involved which could make the system unbootable.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    If the swap is enabled you will get stuttering sound. If memory gets close to being filled or sounds aren't used for a while, then they may get swapped out of memory to the swap file on the hard drive. When they are needed, Windows has to swap the sounds off the hard drive back to physical memory. This causes stuttering. I have had it happen to me and it's not pretty. Usually you need to reboot and reload the song to get around this.

I have the swap file disabled in the OS so this won't occur. There have been threads in the past on how to make these changes. Beware that there a registry edits involved which could make the system unbootable.
    Very interesting!!!! If a change is made in the options dialogue of GPO, is it possible that this could cause a corruption or deletion of the config.sys file? If so, the option should probably be removed as a dangerous option.

Seems to me that I may have changed the option before my first system destruction. The problem was resolved to "config.sys file corrupt or missing."

Can't remember if had changed it after restoration, but there was another problem, same error.

This time, 5 days normal operation, I have not changed the swap file option, and seem to have less problems with noise of all types. None seems to be present.

Would this swap file option be more likely to cause a problem when using DXi or Cakewalk VST Adapter, both with Sonar 2.2?

You may have just answered the really vexing problem I have been experiencing! I have not yet tried using the Cakewalk VST Adapter, but Sonar with DXI works great.

Richard

The option in the GPO Kontakt player should be safe to change. The one I was mentioning that could make your system unbootable is a couple changes to keys in the Windows registry. These changes if made wrong could have disastrous effects.

With swap enabled you will get faster load times but you could get stuttering. You whould always leave the option enabled if you have under 1 GB of memory.

Go Back to forum