• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone using Dan's brass ensembles?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone using Dan's brass ensembles?

Now that Dan is selling single discs from DDBE I am wondering what instrument group is actually the best within the full set. The French Horns, Trumpets or Trombones?

I am mainly interested in the ambient versions and can probably only afford 1 or 2 discs.

I already have a pile of brass:
    - Dan Dean Solo Brass (still fond of it, although the horn needed drastic EQ-ing to match it with ProjectSAM)
    - ProjectSam, all brass libs (I am actually not so happy with the slow attacks, making legato lines hard to make). The sound is great though, the playability not so, IMO).
    - VSL Opus 1 - Apart from the legato/performance programs, I'm not (yet) really impressed by their brass.
    - BOB trombones. Actually not really bad for p - mp, but I have to make selections
    - EWQLSO Gold - not yet explored very well. What are your opinions on the brass in Gold?

Does anyone know good DDBE demos outside of Dan's site?

TIA,

Re: Anyone using Dan's brass ensembles?

Given your other libs., I'd go for the trumpets, IMHO. They are bright, but you can always soften them with eq. They cut nicely in a big orch mix.

Best,

John Z.

Wink Re: Anyone using Dan's brass ensembles?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    Now that Dan is selling single discs from DDBE I am wondering what instrument group is actually the best within the full set. The French Horns, Trumpets or Trombones?

I am mainly interested in the ambient versions and can probably only afford 1 or 2 discs.

I already have a pile of brass:
    - Dan Dean Solo Brass (still fond of it, although the horn needed drastic EQ-ing to match it with ProjectSAM)
    - ProjectSam, all brass libs (I am actually not so happy with the slow attacks, making legato lines hard to make). The sound is great though, the playability not so, IMO).
    - VSL Opus 1 - Apart from the legato/performance programs, I'm not (yet) really impressed by their brass.
    - BOB trombones. Actually not really bad for p - mp, but I have to make selections
    - EWQLSO Gold - not yet explored very well. What are your opinions on the brass in Gold?

Does anyone know good DDBE demos outside of Dan's site?

TIA,

Testing murky waters ;-)

I love both the French Horns and the Trombones.

The French Horns stand up to the latest offerings from SAM and Horizon quite well. QLSO Gold Horns simply can't stand up to the power of the Dan Dean French Horns.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by robin123
    Testing murky waters ;-)
    Robin:

No no, that is not my intention at all!

I have had a good conversation with the moderators about recent issues between us and I don't want to get myself in trouble again over things that are not my business.

This topic is about samples and samples only and I want that to be my business

I am trying to expand my samples palette with a small number of smart shopping deals. I just received my Gold box, which costs me only 300 euro (incl shipping!). I now see an opportunity to get some great sounding French Horns for only 90 euros. I just want to verify that I really pick the one or two disc(s) that suit me best.

I am also considering Storm Drums: I have 1000 "points" to spend at SOL ($ 100 bucks off the list price). And with this great euro/dollar rate SD will cost me only 240 euro!

These are tools that I want to use for new project. I am just collecting some tips and insights from my fellow sample lib users!

Kays:

Thanks for FHS thumbs up - it confirms what I have heard from others as well. I guess I will go for a FHS disc first.

I'm not yet sure about the trumpets, as I als still have not worked enough with the SAM trumpet ensemble and solo trumpet. I'm still using two "modified" DD solo trumpets as my "ensemble" - hehe, I'm weird

Cheerio!

Thumbs up Re: Anyone using Dan's brass ensembles?

[Muppet news flash for the euros!]

There is a special holiday offer for StormDrums, making this beast accessible for only 211 euros incl shipping, and not even losing "points" in the deal.

Doug, here's some more dough! Just ordered it

You can hear several examples of DDBE on my site.

http://www.swgames.com/timzydee

All the instruments in that set are great. You just can't pass up on the 8 velocities. Outside of percussion, no one else has sampled that many velocities. It keeps things really smooth. Now with Giga 3, I've been able to create 8 layer crossfades too.

The horns are a must have in my opinion. I have SAM and VSL, which are great, but the Dan Dean ones can't be beat.

The trombones are good, but I usually use SAM because they're so beefy. DD's are better for soft sections and long sustains though.

I still have yet to hear anyone get the trumpet section right, but DD is the closest. I usually mix DD solo trumpet with the section.
    The biggest downside to the library is that some french Horn notes are inconsitent in the stereo field. I haven't really noticed on other instruments. Also, I use the far mic version of the Horns, but the close mic version of trumpets, because I think the timbre is better.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Hey Tim!

How you're doing man?

Interesting what you mention about the DD and SAM trombones. In my template I am using the DD solo trombone for the softer dynamics and the SAM solo TB for the louder dynamics. A great combination, with some mixer tweaking it's just one instrument. In the mf region they are very alike. DD solo trombone has no body in the louder region, and the SAM trombone does not have the intimacy of the DD trombone. Mmm, maybe I should try to rephrase that sentence so that both libs get thumbs up, instead of down

Interesting that this approach might also work with the respective ensemble versions.

I'm definitely starting with the DDBE French Horns. I have now read many recommendations for them.

Regards,

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I use them, and they are quite good. Most of the comments here reflect my experience. Call me weird, but part of me wishes that he'd done them in the same setting as the solo stuff--since GigaPulse is so effective, it would make it easier to get a homogenized sound from the Solo and Ensemble combinations.

However, that said, things all find their place in good use with any great sounding library. And this is a great sounding library.

peter...

shame on you

search....

its teh same five people answering the same Q again.

you know my satance on these, jsut do a search.

Horns must have, bones soudn gerat, but need some augmentation with bass bones form other libs or jsut other bones for meat. Trumpets are the weakest part of the lib IMO, it jsut seems the least consistant, somethign I cant put my finger on.

Overall I also still ahve a little issue with the FFF layers still. They jump in your face, and the ambience seems a bit lost. overall tho, with some verbage. There a great sound! and at teh recent price...MUST BUY!!
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Go Back to forum