• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: WHO TO CONTACT AT TASCAM RE GSIF-2???

Share/Bookmark

WHO TO CONTACT AT TASCAM RE GSIF-2???

Warning: rant ahead.

OK. One of the things preventing me from upgrading to Giga 3.0 is the lack of GSIF-2 drivers for my soundcard, the Soundscape Mixtreme. Some time ago I emailed Sydec (makers of the Soundscape range) and asked them what the story was. They promptly replied that they had contacted Tascam (twice) to find out the spec for GSIF-2, and had never received so much as a reply. They suggested that I and other users might like to see if we could spur Tascam into action.

I then posted here to see if anyone could tell me who to contact at Tascam about this. No-one gave me a direct contact, but Bruce kindly offered to do something through his contacts and get the ball moving.

Yesterday I emailed Sydec again to find out if there'd been any progress. Here was their reply:

"Upon your email some time ago, we tried once more to get in touch with
    Giga without success.
    We received no reply whatsoever."

I am now officially P!SSED OFF. What's the use of this amazing new technology if the users have to get down on their knees and BEG Tascam to do what's necessary to make it work? It was THEIR choice to make the software dependent on a proprietary driver format, yet they can't even get organised to REPLY to soundcard manufacturers who ask them, THREE TIMES, what they need to do to conform with that format?!

I'm getting very close to joining the ranks of those who are giving up on Giga. I've done some good work with it and it would be a shame, but times like this I just feel like every little step in running it is a struggle. This is just the straw that broke the camel's back. No-one's ever told me I had to play go-between for my soundcard company and Native Instruments to run Kontakt. In the days when Giga was the only show in town we had to put up with this crap if we wanted sampled orchestras. Now we don't - there are other options.

I've got a fresh new box built waiting for GS3 to go on it, but I'm buggered if I'm going to upgrade if it's always going to be like this. I haven't paid anything to upgrade yet so it's a logical time to get out, and use something that just works instead.

OK, one more time: can anyone suggest who I should contact at Tascam to get some action on this? I couldn't find any likely-looking contact details on their site, and if Soundscape can't get through to the right person, I doubt that a simple email to customer (dis)services from me will.

Is there a contact email for bug-fixes? That would be a start, and presumably they could point me in the right direction if they can't handle it themselves. Though I'm starting to give up on presuming anything now.

Re: WHO TO CONTACT AT TASCAM RE GSIF-2???

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    I'm getting very close to joining the ranks of those who are giving up on Giga.
    welcome to the club

it is just a matter of time that you join us

giga could be such a great product. what a shame.

This is no reason at all. Just use GS 3 with you GSIF 1 driver. You’ll still be way better off.

Ouch that hurts,

Hehehe. I feel for you and your name is fitting. While I do have a soundcard (M-audio Delta 1010LT) that has GSIF2 drivers and run GS 2.54 I'm very reluctant to upgrade to GS3 because of support issues. While Tascam (formerly Nemesys) have very good technology their support leaves too much to be desired. Also now that alot of sampled instruments are using the Kontact player as a VST there seem to be fewer reasons to continue on the Giga path these days. I don't know which path I'll take in the future but Kontact is looking better all the time and NI is topnotch when it comes to support.

Cheers,
    JS

> NI is topnotch when it comes to support

You're joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    They promptly replied that they had contacted Tascam (twice) to find out the spec for GSIF-2, and had never received so much as a reply. ...but Bruce kindly offered to do something through his contacts and get the ball moving.

Yesterday I emailed Sydec again to find out if there'd been any progress. Here was their reply:
    "Upon your email some time ago, we tried once more to get in touch with
    Giga without success. We received no reply whatsoever."
    There is no question in my mind that Tascam should (in my opinion) devote more resources toward GigaStudio support. I do know that the actual GigaStudio development team is very small.

Having said that, I really wonder if Sydec has made much of an effort. Who have they called? Or have they simply sent a few emails? Perhaps they don't see developing a GSIF-2 driver as that important. Who were their contacts for developing their GSIF-1 driver? How DID they develop their GSIF-1 driver?

Somehow other companies have been able to develop GSIF-2 drivers, so there must be a specification available.

I also see that the "Soundscape Mixtreme" is listed in the GS "Hardware Compatibility" matrix:
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/hardware.html

Tascam HAD to get that information from someone at Sydec.

Tascam is unfortunately like other companies out there that don't seem to do a very good job at responding to email. However, Tascam does a great job at answering the phone (albeit they have a small support staff).

My suggestion would be to have Sydec CALL Tascam on the phone, starting with the Technical Support number:

Technical Support or Registration
    (323) 727 -7617 phone
    (323) 727 - 7632 fax
    Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm
    U.S. Pacific Standard Time

Sales
    (323) 278-8584 phone
    Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm

General Information
    (323) 727-4864 phone
    (323) 727-7641 fax
    Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm

P.S. - I would NOT "give up" on GS3. It sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by lulu
    giga could be such a great product. what a shame.
    GS3 IS a great product.

Yes, it is a resource hog, and its "kernal level drivers" can cause some problems with other applications (since by definition they bybass the "normal and safe" Microsoft Windows Application interfaces). But it sounds great.

I have a "regular" Dell computer, 2.2 GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM. I have "every program under the sun" loaded on it (business tools, software development environments, etc.), and GS3 runs just fine.

> I have "every program under the sun" loaded on it (business tools,
    > software development environments, etc.), and GS3 runs just fine.

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    > NI is topnotch when it comes to support

You're joking, right?
    Well I mean in the sense that I own several NI VSTs and I have never had to use tech support because they worked the first time. Of course a VSTi is nothing in complexity to something like GS though. But I have contacted their support for upgrade questions and they were always prompt in responding.

I own Gigastudio 2.54 and it's always worked great. I have no problems with Tascam/Nemesys software. It's the registration issues and support frustrations I disklike.

Cheers,
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    Well I mean in the sense that I own several NI VSTs and I have never had to use tech support because they worked the first time. Of course a VSTi is nothing in complexity to something like GS though. But I have contacted their support for upgrade questions and they were always prompt in responding.

I own Gigastudio 2.54 and it's always worked great. I have no problems with Tascam/Nemesys software. It's the registration issues and support frustrations I disklike.

Cheers,
    JS
    Yeah I know what you mean. I still have 2.54 on a computer and works well with the Giga VST adapter.
    Kontakt has it beat hands down in over all compatability.

Giga seems to be more user friendly.

G3 is cool though. I'm not a big fan of the rompler movement that is going on.

Go Back to forum