• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Super high quality 5080/triton as a lib or vsti - I WANT IT!

Share/Bookmark

Super high quality 5080/triton as a lib or vsti - I WANT IT!

It has been an amazing transforming year in our world.
    The big libs and the new vsti's are just blowing away anything we conceived of only a couple years ago.

The one thing I am still wanting for is a lib or vsti (probably better as a vsti) is a big, high quality version of something akin to a 5080 or triton.

Trilogy/atmosphere are great.
    Korg legacy is cool.

But the thing about those hardware boxes was the mulit's/combi's.
    The raw samples were bad but it was the multi's that really created the best sounds.

It seems that the virtual analog vsti craze is winding down and the orchestral grail may have reached a short term pinnacle.

Anyone know of a vsti that can do "triton on steriods"?

By layering several vsti's I am getting there but its sort of like the very old days - in the sense that it actually took 4 synths layered to make a killer patch. and it was a pain to remember how you got that sound a year later. Same thing with using several vsti's/libs.

Hopefully I am missing something - please point me to anything that can cover this.

thanks.

Re: Super high quality 5080/triton as a lib or vsti - I WANT IT!

Ed,

Check out Ravity(s): www.luxonix.com

It isn't quite as versatile as a Triton, but it is similar in concept and has some great sounds. Reasonable price too - $139

Tom Boughner
    PraySong Music

Tom,

Thanks for the tip!

I had never heard of Ravity before your post. The demos are pretty good and you gotta love them posting downloadable demo versions.

It's PC only for now but I will have to check out the Mac version demo when its ready.

thanks again for the super tip

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    It has been an amazing transforming year in our world.
    The big libs and the new vsti's are just blowing away anything we conceived of only a couple years ago.

The one thing I am still wanting for is a lib or vsti (probably better as a vsti) is a big, high quality version of something akin to a 5080 or triton.

Trilogy/atmosphere are great.
    Korg legacy is cool.

But the thing about those hardware boxes was the mulit's/combi's.
    The raw samples were bad but it was the multi's that really created the best sounds.

It seems that the virtual analog vsti craze is winding down and the orchestral grail may have reached a short term pinnacle.

Anyone know of a vsti that can do "triton on steriods"?

By layering several vsti's I am getting there but its sort of like the very old days - in the sense that it actually took 4 synths layered to make a killer patch. and it was a pain to remember how you got that sound a year later. Same thing with using several vsti's/libs.

Hopefully I am missing something - please point me to anything that can cover this.

thanks.
    Ed,

If I understand your question correctly, you are looking for a hardware unit that has powerful virtual instruments included? The best option that pros are opting for currently is the openlabs system (www.openlabs.com) they had our libraries on it at AES and everthing worked just like a keyboard, but with the gizillion velocities, articulations etc. that have increased the size of these libraries. For a touring musician there's probably not a better choice right now, in fact when I was at their booth at AES Prince's keyboard player ordered one with our VSTis in it.

- Doug

Check out Sampletank 2 from IK Multimedia or
    Hypersonic from Steinberg. Also, Sonic synth 2 should be out in a month or 2.

Hey Doug - thank for the post (and the gold box that I got last week!)

But no - I am looing for a vsti (or lib) that has a similair pallette of samples compared to a triton - just with much better quality.

There are actually many vsti's that sort of do this but none that have a killer combi mode (more than 2 parts).

The combi mode was what made a triton(or 5080 for that matter).
    It's the multi layering that brought it to life.

As of now most vsti's let you do at most two part layering.
    I miss having 8 parts to a sound. All doing a different velocity thing so your touch could really morph it and give it life.

I was hopefull for a minute that all kompakt vsti's would support being imported into kontakt.
    Or atmosphere be able to have patches opened into M5.

Either would let us begin putting together huge mulit's.

(by multi I mean many parts all on the same midi channel to result in huge dynamic patches)

Let me know if any of your products or soon to be released ones fit this bill.

Thanks again.

I bought and was disappointed with Sonic Synth 1. But SS 2 looks like what I am talking about.
    But its based on the sampletank engine which I have had nothing but problems with.
    If it were based on M5 or Kompakt I would definately give it a shot.

Maybe Spectrum has something up his sleave in this regard.

Thanks for the posts.

> But the thing about those hardware boxes was the mulit's/combi's.
    > The raw samples were bad but it was the multi's that really created
    > the best sounds.

> Anyone know of a vsti that can do "triton on steriods"?

Essentially, xlutop's Chainer, or brainspawn's Forte can be used to create super synths by encapsulating a number of concurrent instruments and effects as a complete preset you can save and recall (the limit is your processing power). I'm sure there are other hosts out there, but these are the 2 I've been using. Chainer can be both plugin and host, whereas Forte is a stand-alone host.

Forte has the advantage in that it can combine both DX and VST synths and effects, and has many features specifically geared for live performance. It is also well supported and in active development. But for the price, Chainer does an amazing job and has a few other very special features (like exporting "n" seconds of specified keys, and being able to initiate instances of itself within itself...). I believe they both have demos, so try them out.

The cool thing is that you can layer different synths, and not only the same synth, as well as having your choice of effects. We're talking MEGA synths now! But some caveats: Chainer hasn't been developed in almost two years (though it's a credit to the author that it's still worth using) while Forte is a work in progress that, to be fair, has made some major and important strides forward over the last year. I feel both are incomplete in their own way; for example neither does velocity switching. But eventually someone will get it right.

IMO, the age of hardware synthesizers is slowly coming to a close... I'd be interested to hear from others about their experiences with other hosts in the building of these complex architectures.

TIA

u

You should also check out Sonik Synth 2.

http://www.esoundz.com/details/viewD...efcode=REFCODE

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    Hey Doug - thank for the post (and the gold box that I got last week!)

But no - I am looing for a vsti (or lib) that has a similair pallette of samples compared to a triton - just with much better quality.

There are actually many vsti's that sort of do this but none that have a killer combi mode (more than 2 parts).

The combi mode was what made a triton(or 5080 for that matter).
    It's the multi layering that brought it to life.

As of now most vsti's let you do at most two part layering.
    I miss having 8 parts to a sound. All doing a different velocity thing so your touch could really morph it and give it life.

I was hopefull for a minute that all kompakt vsti's would support being imported into kontakt.
    Or atmosphere be able to have patches opened into M5.

Either would let us begin putting together huge mulit's.

(by multi I mean many parts all on the same midi channel to result in huge dynamic patches)

Let me know if any of your products or soon to be released ones fit this bill.

Thanks again.
    Check this out - it's really cheap also (read the reviews) -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=PSP-08

- Doug

Go Back to forum