• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What to buy? GOLD or GS3

Share/Bookmark

What to buy? GOLD or GS3

Ok i'm faced with a big dilemma. I've been wanting to get GS3 for a long time now!.. Now with the group buy for GOLD it's very tempting.

So my questions are this. I know GOLD comes with it's own sampler/VI. However, is it possible to convert my GS libraries into the Gold's player? Or do I have to buy KONTAKT seperate or something. I have no idea what's the difference between all these players... Can someone explain what I would have to do to ditch GS and go the EWQL way.

Will most GS libraries convert ok on their own, or do I have to buy crossgrade patches for all my samples.

I'm sorry for these questions as I know most of them have been answered before. But I'm just confused as to what to do. I'm not made of money either. So I'm looking for the best solution for both the wallet and the future.

Any suggestions would be appericated. Thanks

Re: What to buy? GOLD or GS3

Gold comes with its own sampler player which is Kompakt. Kontakt is the sampler that you can do some serious modification of the Gold samples in. It is a separate purchase.

I have all three. GS3 Orchestra , Kontakt, and EWQLSO Silver (just ordered Gold today).

To be honest, I don't much like the included VSL sounds with GS3. Aside from the harp, I prefer EWQLSO orchestral samples. The VSL samples included with GS3 Orchestra are lacking the legato patches that make Opus 1 and VSL Pro so cool.

But if you have current GS 2.5 libraries, then you'd be set with GS3. Mind you, I think Gold would be less taxing on your computer processor.

Frankly, for $398, you cannot lose. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of Silver Edition and they aren't chromatically sampled patches and they sound great. You could by Gold and GS3.0 Ensemble for the price of GS3 Orchestra.

But one thing for sure- you cannot import your Gigasamples into the Kompakt player that comes with Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    To be honest, I don't much like the included VSL sounds with GS3.
    Fair enough -- this is a very subjective thing. I happen to love the 24 bit Vienna Giga Library sounds, especially when processed through the full version of Gigapulse (which is something you won't get if you go only for EWQLSO Gold and its Kompakt player.)

The only thing I miss in VGL is articulations . Gold, while in many respects incomplete, definitely has the upper hand here. For instance, with VGL Violin ensembles you get:

Violin ensemble: Staccato (Up and Down bow), sustains (w/mod wheel volume), tremolo, pizzicato + some 16 bit loops.

In EWQLSO Violin ensembles you get:

18 Violins -
    expressive vibrato p, f
    straight vibrato p, mf, ff upstroke, ff downstroke
    lyrical vibrato slow, fast attack
    legato vibrato p, mf, f
    sordino expressive mp, mf
    sordino fast mp, mf
    non-vibrato p, mf
    tremolo 1 & 2
    pizzicato, p, mp, mf, f
    martele up and down
    short martele up and down
    marcato short, medium and long
    effects

11 Violins -
    expressive vibrato dimuendo p, f
    expressive vibrato p, f
    lyrical vibrato p, f
    straight vibrato p, mf, ff
    legato vibrato p, mf, f
    trill half step
    trill whole step
    spiccato
    martele up and down
    short martele up and down
    marcato short and long

So purely in terms of articulations, there is no comparison.

Personally I went the GS3/VGL route first, but subsequent research and now the Gold Group Buy have me reassessing my workflow. One thing that has been keeping me on the fence is the sampler limitations with EWQL stuff -- you can't play their encrypted samples in Gigastudio, and you need to buy yet another sampler (Kontakt) to play any GS samples alongside Gold. I have 4 days or so to decide before it's too late...

Regards,

David

Yeah Existence, you do have a point. The few demo patches from VSL are completely excellent. I keep referring to the solo clarinet legato patch. There aren't any words in the english language that approximate my complete reverence for that patch.

HOwever, I have Kontakt as well, so I can import EWQLSO samples into that to finesse them further.

I use GS 3.03 mainly for SAM Horns and Solo Sessions for GS3, the latter sounds astonishingly awesome.

But for an all-in-one compositional tool, I would honestly have to hand it to EWQLSO. There's less time spent searching for sounds and more time composing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneSim
    However, is it possible to convert my GS libraries into the Gold's player?
    No. Each Native Instrument based sample library "player" only works with those samples. However, you CAN use/play the EWQLSO library in Kontakt (you would have to purchase Kontakt).

I have no idea what's the difference between all these players...
    Native Instrument's Kontakt, Kompakt, and Intakt are all sample "engines". There are sample libraries (EWQLSO, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Stormdrum, etc.) that come with bundled "player only" versions of these software products. The Native Instrument website describes the differences (you can see all of their products along the left-hand vertical column):
    http://www.native-instruments.com/

Will most GS libraries convert ok on their own, or do I have to buy crossgrade patches for all my samples.
    With any sampler, the samples are best when in their native format. Kontakt does have native Giga conversion, but the results may vary depending on the specfic library in question.

Can someone explain what I would have to do to ditch GS and go the EWQL way.
    I don't think you necessarily need to think of it as one vs. the other. You could look at EWQLSO Gold as you would Spectrasonics' Stylus RMX or USB Charlie -- simply as a "virtual instrument". If you decide you like the Native Instrument Kompakt/Kompakt interface, then you could convert your existing Giga libraries over time.

On a "political" note, one nice aspect of GigaStudio is its open sample format. Nearly all of the Native Instrument' based bundled player/sample libraries have samples that are encrypted, so once you go to that format you have to "stay with" that format. If the GigaStudio libraries had been encrypted, you wouldn't have the "conversion" option available.

Thanks for all the fast relpy's! You have all been very helpful.

Well I currently mostly use VSL - opus 1, SAM Libraries, plus many other smaller ones, etc... So it's a lot of work imo to change to Kontakt at this point. Plus I dont really want to spend more money on a seperate sampler.

Of course if money was not a problem I'd buy and use them all and setup lots of computers. But it's not really possible at this point.

GOLD is very tempting... But I really need to upgrade to GS3! I have to choose one or the other and fast .

Will Gold run ok along side GS 2.5 or even GS3? Do many people use them at the same time? I currently only use one stand alone PC for music with 3 hard drives with GS2.5 and SX and it runs pretty well. So if I add GOLD I'm guessing I'll need to run it on a seperate computer. Which is something I cant afford at this point...

EDit: It's more or less I want to buy GOLD but I just cant see how it is going to fit into my current GS setup. Buying GOLD will delay GS3 even more, which could be good or bad.

Will Gold run ok along side GS 2.5 or even GS3?
    That is hard to say. In some ways, this is the same question you would have running multiple VSTi's on the same computer. Different applications will be more "resource hungry" than others, and at some point your computer will "run out of gas", forcing you to freeze tracks or render to audio.

I love GS3, but one of the nice aspects about something like EWQLSO Gold is that it does come with its own player -- you would be able to play the samples without having to invest in Kontakt (and without having to convert your existing GS libraries).

Since I have GS3, I used potential "Gold" money to buy the Project SAM True Strike library.

If your heavily invested in GIGA libraries or you like the 'dry' sample approach of VSL, the ambient stage-mic-only of GOLD will not be a good match with VSL and so I would recommend the GS3.

I am a SILVER user who has decided that the GOLD group price is just too fabulous a deal not to take advantage of.

I have generally used ambient orchestral samples from SAM and others, and aside from a recent stint of composing several pieces with GPO and it's dry samples, I find that at the end of the day, the EWQLSO GOLD just sounds more like an actual orchestral recording, in spite of not having nearly as many performance articulations as 'mega-libraries' like VSL.

It is sad that the samples are now 'locked-up' in many libraries like QLSO, but TASCAM will have to find a way to comply or GIGA will ultimately bite the dust.

I understand that some developers would like NI to lock up their patch programming as well!!
    whew!

In my opinion for the price, Gold is a must have...
    Only if you have many GIGA format library than you may want GS3 - but you propably have GS2 and all your libraries are in old GS format so there is no big need of GS3... And all the major giga libraries (SAM, VSL...) are now aviable in other formats so you can avoid using GS completely if you dont like it...

Since you already have Opus 1 and SAM libraries, I don't know whether it's worth porting over to Gold. Mind you, it does have more articulations than Opus 1 (solo and ensemble winds for example) but at this point I think you ought to go for GS3. Get the free upgrade to 3.03 which has ironed out a lot of bugs in 3.0.

Me, I'm not rich enough to get Opus 1 and the Gold purchase will allow me to step up to Pro without going completely broke at a later date. I was just perusing the updated articulations for Gold Pro last night. Whew!!!!!

Go Back to forum