• Register
  • Help

Topic: Intel P4 3.2 Northwood temperature tests: Stock heatsink & fan vs Arctic 4TC

Share/Bookmark

Intel P4 3.2 Northwood temperature tests: Stock heatsink & fan vs Arctic 4TC

Using the SPEEDFAN utility I conducted some informal temperature tests comparing the stock Intel heatsink & fan (with the copper core) with the Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4TC. Even though the Intel stock heatsink and fan is a great cooler, it is a bit on the noisy side which is why I wanted to try out the Arctic which runs quieter and is reasonably priced. Unfortunately, with the Arctic cooler, the CPU seems to run about 10c hotter than with the Intel stock, with temperatures reaching 62C when the system was stressed. Given that CPU temperature plays an important role in system stability, can anyone advise what the maximum temperature tolerance of the Intel P4 3.2 Northwood is before stability problems can occur? Also any quite CPU cooler recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.

GigaSudio 3 Performance Settings:

(1) Instance of Giga-Piano II - Full Modeled Primary
    (4) Instances GigaPulse - Large Hall
    RME 96/32 Audio Card Buffers: 128

Intel Stock CPU Heatsink & Fan:
    System Idle 0 voice peak: CPU 45c Ambient 46c Remote 34c HD 39c
    SPEEDFAN CPU Reading: 31 - 33%
    System (5) minute stress test with 366 voice peak: CPU 51 Ambient 37 Remote 35HD 39
    SPEEDFAN CPU Reading:70%

Arctic Cooling 4TC:
    System Idle 0 voice peak: CPU 56c Ambient 41c Remote 39c HD 39c
    System (5) minute stress test with 366 voice peak: CPU 62 Ambient 41 Remote 39 HD 39 (system was run like this for 5 minutes)
    SPEEDFAN CPU Reading: 70%

Re: Intel P4 3.2 Northwood temperature tests: Stock heatsink & fan vs Arctic 4TC

I've never done comparisons, but my intel p4 3.2 Northwood stays much cooler than your measurements with the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu cpu cooler -- presently it is 33 C (91F). The cpu fan speed is variable, presently 1328.
    In the same room, the p4 3.0 Prescott with a Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu is 38 C.

Since it went on in November in the USA, where it has been cool, there is has not been much of a cooling challenge, however.

Re: Intel P4 3.2 Northwood temperature tests: Stock heatsink & fan vs Arctic 4TC

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the Zalman also. At $47.99 (from newegg) it's a bit on the pricey side, but I think in this case you get what you pay for...

Zalman now has a 7700. It's even bigger and uses a 120mm fan. Personally, I went for the Thermalright XP-120. It's much lighter than the Zalmans, and has better cooling as well. I got mine from heatsinkfactory.com. It doesn't come with a fan. I went with a Vantec Stealth running at about 900 rpm.

http://silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by tbwnm
    Using the SPEEDFAN utility I conducted some informal temperature tests comparing the stock Intel heatsink & fan (with the copper core) with the Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4TC. Even though the Intel stock heatsink and fan is a great cooler, it is a bit on the noisy side which is why I wanted to try out the Arctic which runs quieter and is reasonably priced. Unfortunately, with the Arctic cooler, the CPU seems to run about 10c hotter than with the Intel stock, with temperatures reaching 62C when the system was stressed.

62C is absolutly fine if this is the total maximum! you can go up to 70C but then you dont have much room left. so, i would try to stay around 60C

arctic is a bit progressiv in their allowed max. heat but they produce very cheap and not that bad fans. but for the new cpus A64 annd Prescot they just lost the market. for Athlon and Northwood they are ok (which means "just ok")
    Digital AudionetworX

A note of caution. Only the CNPS7000B-AlCu, weighing in at 438 g, is below the maximum Intel accepts without voiding the warranty on the Press"hot". This is what I opted for because I do lug my box around a bit. If you are in a stationary situation, the whopping 900 g 7700 Cu unit might be OK... something to check with your supplier.

Thanks for that info, clink -- i did hesitate before installing the cu version. But the zalman heatsink has a very well designed cradle to support the weight, and it seems to work very well with my stationary pc.

Thanks for all the info on this. I went ahead and ordered a couple of the Zalaman CNPS7000B-AlCu ($32.99 at ZipZoomFly) which should do the job. Also, I have been advised that:

"According to Intel, the thermal design specification for the 3.2GHz PIV indicates a maximum power dissipation of 84 watts which corresponds to a thermal maximum chip case temperature of 65c."

I installed the Zalman CNPS7000B-AICu cooler and ran the same tests and have added the results below. Overall the Zalman did the best job a far as cooling but only marginally beat out the Intel stock by a couple of degrees. From what I can understand, the documentation for the Zalman states that for an Intel Northwood 3.4 (or Prescott 2.8 or higher), the Fan Mate 2 which allows the cooler to run in silent mode or normal mode be bypassed, which results in the fan running at 2,500rpm or faster. At this setting the Zalman generated only slightly less noise than the Intel stock. The Arctic was the quietest of the bunch but the fan speed was variable on this and clearly ran at a lower speed (which explained it's cooling performance compared to the Intel and the Zalman). I suppose I could try using the Fan Mate on the Zalman as the CPU on this PC is a Northwood 3.2 which I am sure would help with the noise level. Is anyone else out there running a Northwood 3.2 with the Fan Mate 2? At this point I'm not sure if the Zalaman is really worth the extra $$ vs going with the Intel stock if your not able to use the Fan Mate to decrease noise level.

CPU: Intel 3.2 Northwood

GigaSudio 3 Performance Settings:

(1) Instance of Giga-Piano II - Full Modeled Primary
    (4) Instances GigaPulse - Large Hall
    RME 96/32 Audio Card Buffers: 128

Intel Stock CPU Heatsink & Fan:
    System Idle 0 voice peak: CPU 45c Ambient 46c Remote 34c HD 39c
    System (5) minute stress test with 366 voice peak: CPU 51 Ambient 37 Remote 35HD 39
    SPEEDFAN CPU Reading:70%

Arctic Cooling 4TC:
    System Idle 0 voice peak: CPU 56c Ambient 41c Remote 39c HD 39c
    System (5) minute stress test with 366 voice peak: CPU 62 Ambient 41 Remote 39 HD 39

Zalman CNPS7000B-AICu:
    System Idle 0 voice peak: CPU 45c Ambient 35c Remote 34c HD 38c
    System (5) minute stress test with 134 voice peak: CPU 49 Ambient 36 Remote 36 HD 39

Go Back to forum