• Register
  • Help

Topic: O/T- Has anyone watched the ROTK "LOTR Symphony" bonus disk yet??

Share/Bookmark

O/T- Has anyone watched the ROTK "LOTR Symphony" bonus disk yet??

My good friend owns a video store so I order through him and got my EE Giftset of LOTR: Return Of The King tonight. The extra disk is a one hour presentation of Howard Shore's LOTR Symphony with comments by Mr. Shore (reading from cue cards )

Now I don't want to be a heretic, but I feel that while there are excellent moments in the work, overall the scores for LOTR are ultimately overrated. That's just my opinion. Seeing it performed live is very entertaining though. Also, it's fun to see how the orchestra was set up and miced for the recording.
    The piece seems to translate well om the stage, and Shore looks a lot like Igor when he conducts, sort of hunching and doing vibratos with his left hand. He doesn't use a baton, btw.

Anyway, I figure there will be fans (and detractors) of this release in the GPO community and was wondering what your thoughts were.was just wondering what your thoughts were on it.

Re: O/T- Has anyone watched the ROTK "LOTR Symphony" bonus disk yet??

I'm checking it out right now. I personally love Shore's score - it's not perfect by any means, but taking into consideration the incredibly short time he had to come up with a huge amount of music, it's a pretty amazing piece of work.

I have a special relationship with this music. I got to score live theater adaptations of "Two Towers" and "Return of the King", which opened a couple months before each of the movies. Both productions relied heavily on their orchestral scores, each of which was well over 90 minutes of music. It was really cool to watch the films and see how Shore scored a particular scene or character in comparison to how I did it.

Here's the trailer the company did for Return of the King.

http://www.clearstagecincinnati.com/...r.asp?res=high

Please excuse the crappy audio quality - the accompaniment was actually a rehearsal MP3 for one of the scenes that the flash designer simply edited to fit the trailer . I didn't even know they were doing it, or I would have submitted a much higher quality cut!

Wow, those look like they were pretty cool productions!! I like what you did musically. It certainly captures the epic feel of the movie soundtracks without being a copy in any way. How long did it take to write all that music??

BTW, I do think that Howard Shore's scores are quite good, with moments of brilliance even. It's just the people I know who think they are the greatest pieces of music EVER that I react to. I don't even think they even represent Shore's own best work as far as that goes.

Smile Re: O/T- Has anyone watched the ROTK "LOTR Symphony" bonus disk yet??

Wow, the trailer for the play was great! Nice job on the music!

Fredprog, I think some people get so caught up with the whole LOTR phenominon (sp?) that *everything* associated with it is *the best*. They can't help it. To be honest, I have to keep myself tempered on the subject as it was the realization of almost two decades of imagining Tolkiens universe.

That being said, I think some of the themes Howard Shore came up with are brilliant. The Shire Theme embodies my exact expectations for musically representing the land and its inhabitants. The Gondor theme is amazing. As with most soundtracks, it amazes me how composers interweave all the themes throughout movies. However, I have to agree with you, Fredprog, it is not the end all be all of music. Great, yes. A masterpiece? Hmmmmm... I do not mean to take anything away from Mr Shore's music. That would be the last thing I would do. However, I do try to keep it in perspective. I just have to be careful saying that around fan-boys.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin, that's pretty much the same way I feel. My personal favorite bits are the main heroic "Fellowship" theme- hey, it's sort of cheesy but's it's really effective in a Wagnerian way!- and the Rohan theme, the one stated with the nordic violin that gets real big during the charge of the Rohirrim. And the main Ring theme that always plays over the prologues, and the wordless vocals during the Lothlorian scenes... yes, there is a lot of good stuff amongst that 9 hours of music!!

Thanks, guys!

Fredprog, it took about three months per show for all the music. It was a pretty huge project. But very cool. Both productions were enormous, with huge combat scenes involving around forty combatants. Some of them were upwards of ten minutes long, and ALL were choreographed to the music. The director and fight coordinator would send video of the full-speed runs, which I'd score like a film, pop out a really rough cut to send to them so they could in turn rehearse the scenes with the music. It was really quite amazing. Makes me wish I'd done all three, but there was another composer on the first show.

I'm in total agreement with you guys - I love a LOT of Shore's score, but I don't see it in any way as a masterpiece. There were moments that I thought were truly brilliant. Gandalf's fall in Fellowship still gives me chills, as does the moment in the Battle for Helm's Deep where Eomer and Gandalf come charging down the hill to save the day. Just brilliant. And I do LOVE the Grey Havens theme - so simple and so beautiful.

Oh one of my favorites has to be the Uruk Hai theme. First appearing during the "God" shots, coming down the spine of Orthanc, and the tree-cutting in the FOTR. In the theatre, those sounded like Wagner Tubas over the savage ostinato from the percussion - timpani, gran cassa, tam-tam. Wow, sends chills.

Additionally, the strings-on-fire under brass blaring the Gondorian theme during the lighting of the beacons when Gondor calls for aid in ROTK.

Stevemitchell

The beacon scene was just a mind blower all the way around.

BTW I got to watch the full EE last night and it might push ROTK up into my top 5 fav flick list. It was IMO the most drastic improvement of any of the three Extended Editions. Christopher Lee- all I'll say is no wonder he was pi$$ed that scene got cut.
    One of these days I'll do a butt-numb-a-thon and try to watch the whole trilogy as one film.

Steve- man, it must have been fun to score those. No one ever filmed a performance, did they? it would be fun to see!!

Hey Fred,

I'm most likely one of the most devoted fans of LOTR on this forum inevery wsy possible. I just finished all 5 discs of RotK:EE today, and the LOTR:S disc was my fav, in all honesty. The best part of that was that I saw myself in the audiance, i think. (i was there on the day they recorded it) Also, before the concert, Shore had a Q&A session for Gold Ticket holders, which I was. I was able to ask him later what he thought about people taking his music, and digitally recreating it, for example, what i do, and he went on to say that how he 1st began film scoring was by taking classical works, and film works, and remaking them to see the ideas behind them. Ever since, Howard and I have been in contact with eachother through E-Mail. He especially enjoyed my old website, www.lotrmusic.com , and thought I did a great job with his songs.

Just my 2 cents...

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Steve- man, it must have been fun to score those. No one ever filmed a performance, did they? it would be fun to see!!
    As a life-long LotR fan, it was a dream gig, truly. There was definitely video for both shows - I've not seen it myself, but it does exist somewhere!

In between my current projects, I'm planning on re-doing some of the cues with GPO - I'll post a couple when I'm done. I'd love to get some feedback!

Oh, BTW, I DID do the marathon EE trilogy viewing yesterday. Lots of home cooking, home brew and a huge LotR fest. A VERY well-spent day off!

Go Back to forum